Starting Up With Salt

Jul 7, 2015
Edgewood, Texas
Draining our pool and getting ready to clean and refill. Last year I attempted to start using salt, but didn't have much luck. We wound up with algae, possibly because I did not add bleach while waiting for the SWG to start generating chlorine. I added a ton of bleach (before finding TFP) and created oxidized iron. The pool was usable, but not always pretty.

The instructions that came with our SWG says to let the filter pump run 24 hours before turning on the SWG. Then I assume it takes some time for chlorine to be generated.

Should I add bleach as soon as the pool is filled to prevent algae before the SWG is generating chlorine?

Thanks in advance for any advice given!

Finished filling the pool about 3:30 this morning.

Started the pump about 8:30 and added 4 lbs. CYA about 9:30 via sock method.

The water is clear, but kinda of has a yellow tint.

FC = 5.5

I will run a full set of test this evening.

My plan is to add 160 lbs of salt sometime today so that I can start the SWCG tomorrow after work. (Unless someone advises differently.) We ended up turning off the SWCG last summer and just using bleach.

Our city water is TERRIBLE! Last year we fought an iron problem all summer and wound up using Metal Magic. I'm wondering if iron is causing the yellow tint? Is this a reason not to use salt?

uploadfromtaptalk1465148568550.jpguploadfromtaptalk1465148575908.jpg
702d2549b7bfb6d055d8ae53a08f8130.jpg
7bdcfc761ed7ce0e2a88571546ca539b.jpg

After last year's experience with iron, I'm pretty certain our yellow water is the result of high iron content. The yellow color is actually lighter than what the pictures show. The filter is after only about 4 hours of use.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Numbers at 6:00 tonight:

FC 5 - added 29 oz bleach - Target 8 with CYA of 70 and unsure about using SWCG
CC 0.5
CH 50
TA 40 - added 45 oz baking soda
pH 6.8 - waiting to recheck TA and pH tomorrow before adjusting
CYA estimated 75 (Added 4 lbs CYA this morning via sock method.)

Still questioning using salt with high iron content???? Please advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water woes continue ......

I gave up on the cartridge filter and switched a sand filter yesterday. Got the new pump/filter installed and everything seemed good. We could tell a big difference this morning as far as water color goes. The new pump/filter seemed to be doing a really good job on filtering out the iron.

Went to church and came home to a cracked hose and the water level was down about 2 feet. Turned off the pump, changed the hose and started filling the pool. I just went out to start the pump back and now sand is blowing into the pool. I turned off the pump, changed setting to Rinse and started the pump again until the water ran clear out the drain hose. Turned off pump, switched back to filter and started again. Still blew a ton of sand into the pool.

Any thoughts or advice????????:brickwall:

Update.....

Backwashed to clear, rinsed to clear ... all seems to be good again!!!!:D

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.