What Size SWG Should I Get?

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I finally have my CYA down to 90 from a whopping 160+. Getting ready to make the purchase and would appreciate your recommendations on the size I should get. Right now, it looks like I'll be going with Hayward and getting the SwimPure Plus or Aqua-rite. I believe they are the same systems. Depending on which pool size calculator is used, my gallonage is btw 13,200-14,000. So, let's use the highest number - 14K. Should I go with the 25K model or 40k model? After researching and talking to folks, I've rec'd mixed advice. Some say, "go with the largest you can afford", others say, "go 2x the size but 3x would be overkill" I live in Florida and my pool is in the sun 75% of the time - only used by 2 adults - if any of that makes a difference.

Jason,

This is an electrical device in which the electrodes wear over time while producing the chlorine gas. The larger electrodes the more material to wear.

Based on my chemistry/physics/science experience, I would think getting the larger unit and running it at a lower setting (on those units with variable settings) would be the better long-term way to go.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I was planning on getting the 40K AquaRite unit since I could probably run it at about 30% capacity and this should extend the life of the unit.

Yes, but if you get too large a unit, you lose the ability to make fine adjustments in the percentage setting. For example, if the unit is 5 times to large, you are only adjusting it between 0 and 20%, but in the spring you run at about 1/4 the setting you run it in the summer, which means you are adjusting between 0 and 5%, which doesn't give you much control over the chlorine level.

Dang, that practical reality.

Besides I see the replacement cells for the 15K are only about $215, so even buying the smaller unit and replacing the cell once is still cheaper (oops, more economical) than buying the 40K unit once.

mtbarr64 said:
Jason,

This is an electrical device in which the electrodes wear over time while producing the chlorine gas. The larger electrodes the more material to wear.

Based on my chemistry/physics/science experience, I would think getting the larger unit and running it at a lower setting (on those units with variable settings) would be the better long-term way to go.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I was planning on getting the 40K AquaRite unit since I could probably run it at about 30% capacity and this should extend the life of the unit.
I agree on this view:

I had a ESC unit installed when I built my pool and even running at 100% it just would not keep up. After adding Ch for nearly 2 years on a almost weekly basis I said the heck with this and bought a new ESC 36. I ran it for the past 18 mo and it runs comfortability at 30-40%.

I also have to somewhat agree with the other poster on the lack of fine tuning. I can only tune my ESC in increments of 10%. That said, if I run too long at 40% in a few weeks I will over ch and have to drop down to 30%. After a while I will need to kick that up to 40% as 30% does not gen quite enough...but its the turn of a knob so its easy to adj.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.