Rail and Ladder anchor replacement

Lxg44

May 28, 2016
Berlin, nj
I need to replace my rail and ladder anchors for my IG pool. I would like to core them out and replace with Saftron anchors and rails that don't require bonding. If an existing bonding wire is cut when coring out the old anchors will this cause the bonding to fail or are the anchors generally installed as a leg off the bonding loop?

My pool installer wants to cut out large irregular sections of concrete around the anchors for replacement. My pool deck is colored concrete and they will never match it when they repair it so I want to avoid damaging the concrete if I can. I cannot find any posts anywhere that address the replacement of the anchors and bonding in a step by step process. Also, my installer is not eager to answer questions or provide alternate ideas.

I can't be the only person that has had this problem so any help would be appreciated.

Oh one final rant...why are these anchors not originally installed in a manor that would allow easy replacement? They are clearly a maintenance item. Why not have the bonding attachment on the bottom of the anchor and have some wire coiled below the anchor when newly installed? This way when they need replacement you could core it out pull up the coiled core, connect a new anchor to the bonding wire, coil the wire below again, grout it in place then cover the grout with the escutcheon?!?!

Thanks

While I feel most bonding connections would be a leg off of the loop, it will all come down to the electrician who originally installed it. How old is the pool? Are we sure it is even bonded?

This is a forum populated mostly by pool owners, not pool builders. How the PB would have wired that ladder to the bonding wire is virtually impossible to predict but maybe a PB will come along and provide some insight. I DIY'd my pool and the bonding wire to the ladder was a leg, but I could have looped it as well.

I found some pictures from the original construction of the pool and confirmed the anchor sockets are in fact legs off of the bonding loop. So I am going to proceed and core out the old sockets and install new ones. I will probably start a new thread and detail the "How To" for the anchor socket replacement because there seems to be so little information out there on it for the DIY crowd.

Thanks to all you replyed

Lxg44

I have the same issue and am wondering if you were able to DIY yours. I have one ladder cup that has deformed to the point where I can't get the ladder in. I'm wondering if I can't just grind the inside of it to create more room. If I have to replace though I'd want to just for them all.

Has anyone successfully grinder one?

When I replaced my ladder anchor cups, the pool bonding wire was visible but the old bond wire for the old anchors was nowhere to be found. I connected to the pool bond wire but ran a new bond between the two cups, took up my brick in sand paver deck to run the bond back to the pump, heater etc. The electrician that wired the pool panel told me I should do this myself and he would just test for equipotential and proper bond, which he did. He said he'd have to charge me way too much to run the wire. Make sure you use #8 bare copper solid strand for the bond. I set the anchors in a new small concrete pad. Wasn't that bad. Also make sure this is separate from ground. Bonding is to keep all the metal elements in the pool at the same potential or equipotential to prevent shock. As I understand it, electricity is like water and will flow across areas of differing potential, causing current and a shock (usually low voltage like 1-3 volts) but it could be really dangerous if you had a sudden surge of current into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.