Hayward H250 Heater wont ignite

May 15, 2009
Good day all, hoping someone can give me some help. I have a hayward h250 pool heater with mini volt, the pilot light stays lit, there is lots of water pressure, and I have checked my water conectons, and they are fine. The heater will not ignite when the knob is turned on. I did some reading and saw that I could bypass or jump the wires to make the heater ignite, so I tried this using the black and white wires. As soon as I did this the heater ignited and there was warm water going into the pool, well that is great and all, but what does this tell me about what might be causing it not to ignite on its own,,,,,, Thanks for any info

Welcome to TFP!

To narrow down the problem you need to jump across one of the sensors at a time. From your description I believe you jumped across the entire sensor circuit. There should be a diagram in your manual listing the various sensors and labeling what each one does. If you can narrow the problem down to a specific sensor it will be much easier to fix the problem.

There is also a chance that it will just start working, now that you got it lit once. It probably won't, but you might get lucky.

I have this same heater. Every single year, it fails to light at pool opening. Each year I step through the wiring diagram. Several years I had one sensor or another bad. Other years, it mysteriously starts working, and works all summer. Haven't tried starting it yet this year....

Yes. Normally all you need to do is to touch the two ends of a short wire to the two terminals of the sensor. If the heater fires up then something is going on with that sensor.

Keep in mind that some of the sensors might be stopping the heater from starting up for a valid reason. For example, the heater should not startup unless the pump is running and water is flowing through the heater. If you are doing this test with the pump off, you can jump across the flow sensor and the heater may start, but the flow sensor is correctly detecting the lack of flow.

Would it be the same if I just disconected the two wires from the mini Circuit and joined the wires together, or do they need to be in contact with the circuit. I tried it by joining the wires together on three of the mini circuits but it did not work. I will try again today or tomorrow to see if I can get it going.

Thanks for all the info!! I just tried junping the wires to the mini circuits and it didnt work, then jump the main black and white a few times to fire it up, did this on and off five or six times, then it started working on its own. Great site and good people here :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.