dealing with Algae in salt water pool and need to balance before SLAM

Hi there,
We just finished construction of our pool last fall - just in time to close it. It is a SWG pool but the SWG has not yet been installed. Our pool contractor is coming to install the SWG as soon as we have the pool opened and ready to go. We had a very difficult time getting the water circulating - could not yet it primed. We finally succeeded today (yeah!!). Our pool is a disgusting SWAMP. We need to SLAM it. Looking for advise on how to do that give our situation (no SWG at the moment but will have one very soon). I measured chemicals using our Taylor testing kit. Here are the results:

FC = 0 (no surprise there)
pH = 7.2
TA = 40 ppm
CYA = 0? (or less than 30 anyways - could see clear down to the black dot in the testing kit when the tester was full.

I did not bother measuring CC or CH (my thought was if there is no FC, how could their be CC or CH? Not sure if that is correct)

So I believe my pH is at a good level as I understand it will go up slightly when I SLAM the pool.

I think I need to raise the CYA and TA before SLAMing - is that correct?

If so, pool math is telling me I need to add 300 oz of baking soda to raise TA to 60 and 175+ oz of stabilizer to raise CYA to 60 (assuming CYA is at 30 which is probably a high estimate).

Also, my pool contractor says NOT to use chlorine to shock the pool because we are moving to SWG. What should I use?

He is suggesting shocking the pool and once it i has been shocked add a good quality algecide.

Am I on the right track?

You really wouldn't want the SWG on during a SLAM anyway, so - ignore TA

What does your pool builder thing a salt water chlorine generator creates?

Bring CYA to 30

SLAM Process away, use liquid chlorine

No algecide. Oh, and for giggles if you go by a pool store just read the fine print on the directions on bottles of algecide. Almost all say do not add to pools with active algae growth. Algecide is a preventative, not a cure. Chlorine is the cure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.