just shocked pool, FC at 10...is it safe to swim?

Hi All! Here's a quick background on me...I just discovered this website today, and I'm so glad I did! I have been struggling for 2 years to keep our above ground pool safe to swim in and nice to look at. My previous method involved 6 way test strips, chlorine tablets, inadequate pump/filter, testing water at pool store, spending $100 at a time to fix problems I didn't understand, then throwing my hands up and draining/refilling the pool because it was cheaper and easier to start fresh!!

So this year I upgraded my filter/pump system from the one that came with it, so I think that will be a big help. I still have a few "guess strips" left, but will be purchasing the TF100 test kit based on user recommendations and reviews.

We refilled our pool yesterday after draining it because we let it get overrun by algae, not realizing that our old filter pump was broken. Before refilling, we scrubbed most of the algae off, but didn't vacuum it out 100%...I figured shocking the pool would take care of any residual contaminants. So, with a fresh 7600 gallons of (city) water, and a brand new sand filter system, we added 16oz. of Poolife Turboshock...78% Calcium Hypochlorite with 22% "other" ingredients last night at 9:00 p.m. Friday, May 27.
This mornings readings were:
FC: 10
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
TH: 200
CYA: 0 or 30-50

It is 85 degrees out today, the water is beautiful and sparkling, and my 12 and 10 year old daughters want to jump in despite it being freezing! I read somewhere that it wasn't safe to swim in a pool when the FC was above 4. Is that true? When can they go in?

I am reading and taking in as much as possible, but before my new test kit arrives, what is my best course of action to keep my pool beautiful? Can I use my remaining chlorine tablets (I only have 10 or so left), or should I immediately make the switch to bleach? Thanks in advance!!

With no CYA, or just a trace of residual from what was in the filter, 10 FC is going to be pretty harsh on skin and hair and swimsuits. The good news is, once the sun starts beating on the pool that FC will disappear. I wouldn't be surprised if you test it in four hours and find none left. Keep the kids out if you can until it dips to 5 or less.

Save the pucks. As long as the bucket stays closed, they'll last for years. They're good to make up lost CYA due to splashout, but they dissolve too slowly to be used to raise CYA now. They're great for vacations.

With a fresh refill and the only thing added was Cal-hypo, it's a safe bet CYA is zero. In which case, 2 lbs (half a 4 lb canister) will get CYA up to 32. 3/4 will get you to 48. Your choice.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals will tell you what chemicals do what and how to add
Pool School - PoolMath will teach you how to use poolmath to figure out how much

PS: Welcome :wave:

Welcome to TFP :)

You need some CYA in there to protect the FC and your kids :) and the liner...

The pucks will work great for vacation and it would raise your CYA but 4 of them would also raise your FC 28 and you don't need that right now

Make a trip to walmart and get the following

pool isle
HTH pool conditioner 100%CYA
grab 5 bottles of liquid bleach "pool shock"

go to lowes and grab the 2 gallon chemtech muriatic acid from the outdoor section

using poolmath above add CYA to bring to 30 (1.5 pounds) put the CYA in a sock and kneed it in the pool water untill disolved
let FC drift down to 4 and never let it get below 2 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
drop your PH to 7.6 (4 oz MA)

keep testing FC and PH until your test kit arrives, after that post back your numbers :)

Thank you for all your responses!! I just retested, and wouldn't you know it...FC now reads 0...Kids will be happy! ;) I still have tons of reading to do, and will get the hang of this eventually. I will take all of your advice!

I am unsure of the result because the difference between 0 and 30-50 range on the color key on the test strip is almost imperceptible. Maybe why they call them guess strips?!

Thank you for all your responses!! I just retested, and wouldn't you know it...FC now reads 0...Kids will be happy! ;) I still have tons of reading to do, and will get the hang of this eventually. I will take all of your advice!

I am unsure of the result because the difference between 0 and 30-50 range on the color key on the test strip is almost imperceptible. Maybe why they call them guess strips?!
Exactly. And the difference between 30 and 50 is pretty substantial. That's about as useful as a tape measure only marked every 6 inches.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Trying to follow what we suggest here with test strips for your test source is not productive. Trying to do it from the pool store is worse, I think.

If you are serious about managing your pool (for example, your kids really shouldn't be swimming in that 0 Chlorine pool....you have no sanitation protection), I suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll teach you about chlorine and why it is THE most important additive to your pool.

Come on and jump in with us. We'll hjel;p you every step of the way but you have to ditch those test strips and get the Taylor K-2006C kit or the TF-100. You can read more about them (and everything else) in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.