Looking for reassurance

Tim/oh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Hey all, Been using BBB for couple years now. All great until mid summer last year, after vacation I lost control of balance and things got away from me. Weather wasn't all that great(ohio) so I reverted back to pucks and whatever I had laying around to finish out the year. All issues completely my fault. Its a new year and I'm determined to start it right. 1st thing I did was check levels with Taylor 2006, CYA off the charts 120. I tested it 4 times. Used partial bottle from last season and new bottle, same result. Diluted 50% with tap water and got a 60 reading. So I took a sample to the small family owned pool place by me and had them check it. Said I have no stabilizer in it, 0...I asked him what he tested it with, Auqachek 7 strip. These people have been in business a long time and have a good reputation. I questioned the accuracy of the strips and he said hospitals use them....whatever that means. I've read trust my readings but how can the strip say 0 and Taylor say 120? I was contemplating adding stabilizer and decided to drain 60% of my water. I hope everyone that says trust your own test is correct.

trust your test, guess strips are just bad and depending on how they were stored can be completely wrong like you saw...

if you used 4 pucks a week for 2 months you raised your CYA by 24 if 8 pucks 48 CYA + whatever you had already :)

good job on draining, what is it now, about 60 ?

Yes, trust your own.

If the strips got damp, they got ruined. They can also bleach out if FC is high which gives a false reading.

I actually bought some strips from them after he said they were accurate, figured if nothing else I'd use them for quick ballpark checks. I opened new bottle, sealed top, also has desiccant pack inside got same results he did...0 cya. I did add 2 gallons of 12% right after I took the winter cover off to get ahead of anything, had a little green in the corners. Maybe like you said bleached out.

- - - Updated - - -

trust your test, guess strips are just bad and depending on how they were stored can be completely wrong like you saw...

if you used 4 pucks a week for 2 months you raised your CYA by 24 if 8 pucks 48 CYA + whatever you had already :)

good job on draining, what is it now, about 60 ?

Draining as I type, have another 6" to remove. about 1/2 hr should be there and will start refill. Hopefully can get refilled tonight. Wife is out of town and has no idea...lol She thought I was nuts using borax, baking soda...etc, Don't need to give her any more ammo...

This is a perfect example of why many people get in such a bad situation with their pool. From your description I'm sure the store meant no harm, but for the average person they would have sold CYA and sent them on their way. 120 would become 200 and keep going up with pucks and shock.

You care about your pool, trust your numbers.

Ok, Drained 1/2 of the water out and refilled, ran filter for about an hr. Turns out my number were right and the high chlorine bleached out the test strip the pool store used. I think I'll mention that to them if or when I'm in there again. I compared test strip cya with my taylor # on the refilled pool, strip now read 30-50 so in the ballpark but no way accurate enough.

Thanks for the encouragement to TRUST MY NUMBERS...

Here are my numbers,
FC 7.5
CC 0.4
PH 7.6
TA 50
CH 120
CYA 50-55

Going out now to start slam, have a little green tinge corners.

Started slam last night, ran FC to 20. PH was 7.6 last night now PH is 8.0 this morning, other numbers same as above. I assumed it was because of high FC but checked my tap water and PH is 8.0. So technically if I drained/refill 50% I should have PH of 7.8(in a perfect world). Noticed test water turned purple shortly after mixing. Would you lower PH now or wait until I'm finished with the slam process?

- - - Updated - - -

Good plan. :goodjob: Don't forget to lower that pH to about 7.2 before cranking-up the FC. That's slips by people sometimes. :hammer:

Although you replied within 2 minutes, I was out the door slamming. Guess I'm included in the "one of those people" list now....lol

Started slam last night, ran FC to 20. PH was 7.6 last night now PH is 8.0 this morning, other numbers same as above. I assumed it was because of high FC but checked my tap water and PH is 8.0. So technically if I drained/refill 50% I should have PH of 7.8(in a perfect world). Noticed test water turned purple shortly after mixing. Would you lower PH now or wait until I'm finished with the slam process?
You have to wait. The pH test reads falsely high at shock levels. Check out the pictures Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.