Opened Pool Crystal clear now the water is CLOUDY!! I want my clear water back PLZ!!!

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP,
I had opened my pool mid April and my water was crystal clear. I ran a test on the water that day and every other thereafter and the results were dead on perfect. I maintained my levels since then and the water has been clear as clear can be.
Daily results:
Temp:60
FC:5 to 7
CC:0
PH:7.2 to 7.6
TA:60
CH:325
CYA:between 80-90

Till 2 days ago. My kids have been swimming in it for 2 days now and I just installed a heat pump which raised the temp to 81.
Woke up this morning to a cloudy pool!! Noooooooo!!!

Todays (morning) TF-100 results:
Temp:81
FC:2
CC:0
PH:7.3
TA:50
CH:225
CYA:55 <--- huh?? how?

Kind people of TFP, please help! Thx in advance...

Algae grows faster in warm water. When the temp was around 60 that was inhibiting the algae growth. With a CYA of 80-90 you need to keep the FC 6-9ppm, so having it at 5-7 you were barely hanging on the the low end of the recommended range. FC is also consumed faster in warm water, and add swimming kids and your FC dropped way below the recommended level allowing the nascent algae to bloom. Unless you have had a large exchange of water there may have been an error reading the CYA test. 5-7ppm is the FC recommendation for a CYA in the 50-60 range. Double check the CYA level and begin the SLAM process to clear your pool.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed the SWG in your signature. Is it still in use?

Algae grows faster in warm water. When the temp was around 60 that was inhibiting the algae growth. With a CYA of 80-90 you need to keep the FC 6-9ppm, so having it at 5-7 you were barely hanging on the the low end of the recommended range. FC is also consumed faster in warm water, and add swimming kids and your FC dropped way below the recommended level allowing the nascent algae to bloom. Unless you have had a large exchange of water there may have been an error reading the CYA test. 5-7ppm is the FC recommendation for a CYA in the 50-60 range. Double check the CYA level and begin the SLAM process to clear your pool.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed the SWG in your signature. Is it still in use?

Yes it is and it is running at 40%.

Thanks for the support.
I re-tested the CYA levels and its still at about 50+. So I'm thinking that I will have to add more CYA.
As for the FC, I dumped Bleach in the pool (according to pool calculator) and cranked the SWG to 90% and got FC to 17. Woke up this morning retested FC and got 15. The water is crystal clear again. yay! ... I will try to maintain FC at 17 give or take for a few days and maybe just have the SWG maintain a level of about 10+ from there on while adding more CYA till a level of 70-80.
Thoughts plz ...? Thx again

Hi again. I hope all enjoyed the holiday weekend.
I performed the OCLT last night/this morning and I am happy to report I passed!! Loss of 0.5 only even though the sun was partially on the pool.
Last night it was FC=11 and this morning was FC=10.5 and crystal clear.
Thank you soooo much for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.