SLAM process two weeks and cloudy?

May 11, 2016
Texas
All. I think I have been patient but need to know if I am missing something although we have had really humid days and had several rain storms just as I started this process. I am using Taylor K-2006 test kit twice a day and have been keeping FC level above 12, sometimes up to 14 or 16 (since my CYA seems to be about 30 )using HEB bravo liquid bleach vacuumed twice, brushing, back washing about once every two to three days. Water looks much better but is still cloudy. I can take my net and run it through the water. There are some tiny what I believe to be oak blossoms. They are clear from the bleach but not completely gone. I plan to get some type of filter socks today.

Just wondering if I am missing something. Thanks

Bill

Welcome to TFP :)

You are doing great, keep it up..

You don't need to backwash untill your pressure raises 25%, your sand filter will work better as it gets dirty

post up all your numbers to see what your levels are :)

Hi, Bill. :wave:

Two weeks is too long. Sand filters are slowest about cleaning the cloudiness, but not that slow.

Sounds to me like maybe the filter is channeled. The sand hardens up over time with Calcium and stuff it's filtered out. Then you backwash and disturb it and it breaks up into clods and doesn't settle back into position, leaving big gaps -- channels through the sand. Nothing gets filtered. The solution is Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

After that is done, you might even try to Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter. That will be like putting window screen above chicken wire, just on a microscopic scale, inside your filter. It'll get that cloudiness out. Don't skip the cleaning first, though; if there are channels, DE will pass through and make an even bigger mess of things.

Skimmer socks are a great idea. People have been using hairnets lately, but I still have some knee-high nylons I bought a while ago. Either one is cheaper than the filter socks sold in the pool section.

I will follow suggestions (clean filter, add DE, run complete tests) and post up results. BTW, what numbers do you need? I thought numbers would be off due to elevated chlorine levels? Thanks for lightning fast responses.

Bill

I will follow suggestions (clean filter, add DE, run complete tests) and post up results. BTW, what numbers do you need? I thought numbers would be off due to elevated chlorine levels? Thanks for lightning fast responses.

Bill
You are correct. pH will be totally wrong at shock level FC. Casey just wants to confirm you're keeping FC high enough for your CYA level.

I was able to clean the sand filter today and then got called in to work. I tested FC which was 10 before leaving and added 121 oz of 8.25 bleach.
While I was out, had a pool full of people, which probably didn't help. I tested FC once they were out and it was 10.5, added 121 oz of 8.25 and ran to store for more bleach.

I then ran all tests, except pH.
FC=15
CC=.5
pH=not done but can if requested
TA or Calcium Carbonate=150
CYA is approximately 30 although I can still just make out the dot when vial is full
CH=175

I will try to get around to some of the other steps tomorrow. Thanks again for assistance.

Bill

Bill

You are correct. pH will be totally wrong at shock level FC. Casey just wants to confirm you're keeping FC high enough for your CYA level.

Sorry about that, I should have just said FC, CC just to make sure where you were at...

From your new tests tonight youre looking good, how does the water look

It seems better but not clear. I will take pics tomorrow. You can see your feet on bottom but not clearly. I still find a few leaves when using the net but you can't see them through the water if that makes sense.

Okay, I was on call and had to go out several times this weekend. I also want to add that it rained which adds leaves and rain water as well as company over that went swimming so...I knew it would be harder to do this but I am trying to stay on top of it.

First link is photo from May 28th

May282016 Photo by moondogtn | Photobucket

Second is from this morning May 30th

May302016 Photo by moondogtn | Photobucket

I did toss about 16 oz of granulated dichlor in there to try to add some lasting effect since the liquid was not seeming to last with all of this activity.
Measured FC last night to be 17, this morning after the rain(leaves) and more swimming last night it was 13.5, No CC this moring.
It looks better but after today swimming will be limited so I hope it will be easier to get this finished. I still plan to pick up the DE if I can find it locally.
See whay you folks think.

Bill

With a SLAM you have to test and adjust the FC more than twice a day (but not more than every hour) everyday. If you skipped a whole day that put your SLAM back a good bit.

Also, I would stick to bleach unless you purposefully want to raise your CYA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As previously noted, the sand filter does take the longest to clear cloudy water. I'm pretty sure I was at it for about two weeks as well. If you do add DE, brush brush brush. When I did this my pressure started rising a lot more rapidly, telling me it was working.

I agree but it is pretty tough to do when I haven't been here. Typically, on call is no big deal but this weekend has been a bit nuts. Also, the CYA level was about 30 maybe lower during initial tests and since they really don't give you enough reagent to test it more than a couple of times, I have no more. I ordered a pint but USPS left a notice that it was leaking and damaged. That was Friday so no chance to follow up there. It would have probably been beneficial to know that I needed gallon jugs of the specific reagents prior to beginning SLAM process. However, I will continue to use what I have and hope for the best. Is there any other semi-reliable(i.e. Good enough to get through SLAM) CYA test method?
BTW, the second pic doesn't look as good as it should. You can actually see the leaves in the bottom and the screw on those steps clearly. Thanks for the input and I will post up results later if I don't get called out again.

Bill

Good news, no work today so I was able to monitor it more closely.
10:00 FC 13.5
11:30 FC 14.

People swimming
2:00 FC @ 12ppm
Added 121 oz bleach

6:00 FC 13.5
8:00 FC 13.5
Will test again tomorrow morning and hopefully it will level off and be clear.

Bill

Bill, I'm like you. I use primarily the Bravo stuff. It will work just fine. :) Based on your schedule, it's looks like you're doing the best you can. We understand, as do you, that with absence comes a slightly longer process. But even with your time away there IS progress. The pics prove it. So hang in there. Once you receive your replacement CYA reagents, test it again to ensure you're at the correct SLAM level. No overnight loss is great. Your current FC of 13.5 should be fine for today since you passed an OCLT and have next to no CCs. Clear water is a requirement for passing the SLAM, but you stated you can see quite well. The additional clarity might just be a matter of time with that filter now that you deep cleaned it. The DE might help as well. Your call though. Have a good day.

Thank you both for the advice. I plan to check with usps today and see if they actually have the package containing reagent and how badly it was damaged. If not, I'll need to order more.
Water is looking better although slow to clear up. I am awaiting the crystal clear water. Perhaps I will hold off on the DE for a bit and see how it looks. I'll try to get another pic this afternoon if there is any noticeable difference. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.