May 23, 2016
Brooks, GA
I am in the process of filling my 27' above ground pool and I have two questions.
1. The pool pump is a Waterway Hi-Flo II 48-Frame Side Discharge and it came with a 3' NEMA cord attached. I would like to install a pool timer for the pump however the timer I purchased (Intermatic T104R 208-277 Volt) needs to be hard wired to the pump. Should I just remove the cord and hard wire it myself or what other options are there?
2. The pump is 115 volt / 13.5 amp. What size circuit breaker should I use in the breaker box? I am going to hard wire the pump/timer as a dedicated circuit. Also, with the aforementioned specs will the pool timer from question one work or should I exchange it.

Thanks

Technically removing the plug causes the pump to loose it's UL listing. Many people don't care, but insurance companies do. I wouldn't cut it off/ remove it. Just add a new receptacle that is energized by the new timer and plug it in there.

The size breaker is determined by the size wire and down stream devices installed. Is this all new wiring? If so go with 12g minimum on the wire and 20a GFCI breaker.

What is the depth of the pool as that is the determining factor on the electrical regulations that need to be followed?

tim5505,

Thanks for the prompt response. I was thinking about installing a switch between the pump plug-in and the timer. The pool is 54'' tall so therefore its a permanent pool. Its all going to be new wiring from my outside breaker box under my power meter. I feel comfortable doing electrical in-side a home but this is the first time I have had a pool since I was a kid and then my parents handled all of this stuff.

tim5505,

Thanks for the prompt response. I was thinking about installing a switch between the pump plug-in and the timer. The pool is 54'' tall so therefore its a permanent pool. Its all going to be new wiring from my outside breaker box under my power meter. I feel comfortable doing electrical in-side a home but this is the first time I have had a pool since I was a kid and then my parents handled all of this stuff.

Then you need to follow the full pool code including a bonding grid around the pool and attached to all equipment.

2014 NEC from Mike Holt : http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php?file=PDF/Swimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.