Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: O-ring replacement needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

O-ring replacement needed?

I'm in the process of trying to detect a suction-side air leak, as my pump won't hold prime when it's shut off and there is air in the pump basket area when the pump is on.

I have noticed that when I put the pump basket lid back on, it's easier to turn all the way to the closed position than it used to be....less resistance, etc. The O-ring appears to have no damage, but is it possible that it would need to be replaced anyway?

Thanks,
    Greg
    12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O-ring replacement needed?

I had this problem last year. O-rings aren't expensive, but you can try some lube first and see if that seals up the leaks. It did for me. I just got the Leslie's brand.
    23000 gal. 18 x 36 IG vinyl
    Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 hp. pump
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 cartridge filter
    AutoPilot Digital 220 SWG
    LaarsLite 250 gas heater

3. Back To Top    #3

poolbee, I put a coating of petroleum jelly on the o-ring and still have the issue. Should that have done the trick if lubing the o-ring was the issue, or is there another kind of lube (like what you used) that should work even if petroleum jelly didn't?

Thanks,
    Greg
    12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Never use petroleum jelly on o rings. It makes them disintegrate! Only use a teflon or silicone based lube made for pool use.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Never use petroleum jelly on o rings. It makes them disintegrate! Only use a teflon or silicone based lube made for pool use.
    DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

To check the o-ring, feel to see if it is flat on the sealing surface, also GENTLY stretch it and look for cracks on the surface - if you find either of these, it's time for a new o-ring.

You may also want to look at the Leak Detection article in Pool School 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Dang! I didn't realize that....I guess I should have, knowing that petroleum jelly is a petroleum product! From what I can remember, I think I've actually read in owner's manuals for all kinds of things that have rubber o-rings to lubricate them with vaseline!

Thanks for the posts....you've saved me a lot of future grief!

Anyway, I did find the source of my leak, and it's actually at a valve, so the pump lid o-ring is still OK. I'll get out there tomorrow and make sure to wipe any traces of the vaseline off of it!

Greg

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rhythm
    Dang! I didn't realize that....I guess I should have, knowing that petroleum jelly is a petroleum product! From what I can remember, I think I've actually read in owner's manuals for all kinds of things that have rubber o-rings to lubricate them with vaseline!

Thanks for the posts....you've saved me a lot of future grief!

Anyway, I did find the source of my leak, and it's actually at a valve, so the pump lid o-ring is still OK. I'll get out there tomorrow and make sure to wipe any traces of the vaseline off of it!

Greg
    Petroleum jelly destroys rubber...same reason you can't use it on those other rubber items that are sold in drugstores!