Vinyl liner and muratic acid

May 27, 2016
Irving/TX
I have an 18,000 gal. above ground pool. This year I was told to add 90 lbs. Poolife Endure and follow it with 3 gallons of muratic acid. My father in law says never use muratic acid in a pool w/vinyl liner. The pool store that sold it to me says it's safe and will eliminate the need for algaecide for the season. I spent $250 on the Endure and muratic acid. Did I get taken for a chump or will this actually work? Please be honest and don't hold back any punches. I can take it.

Welcome to TFP!

Lots of people use muriatic acid in vinyl pools every day with no problems. What is Poolife Endure? Since you already don't need algaecide in your pool my guess is that you don't need it either. It is not on our list of Recommended Pool Chemicals. I have never heard of it. Can you return it and get your money back?

Welcome! :wave:

You mix dry acid with water before adding, so it's liquid acid. What's the difference? Thousands and thousands of people use Muriatic Acid in vinyl pools with no problems. So the Father-in-law is wrong and the pool store is right, amazingly. However, you did get taken. Endure is just Borax. In the fancy packaging it's about 3 bucks a pound. Twenty Mule Team Borax is about 88¢ a pound at Walmart, though they're unlikely to have 90 lbs on the shelf at once. And further, you don't need algaecide anyway if you follow our methods and maintain adequate free chlorine. Over five years of being open 365 days a year and my pool has never had an algae bloom or algaecide or borates. Many people here do swear by borates, though, so you ought to read this article if you're determined to do it. Borates - Why and How Once you add it, it will be hard to adlust the TA down if it's too high, so follow those directions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.