Pool opening surprise--is this a new kind of red algae?

Maria

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
West Chester, PA
Been opening my pool for years with knowledge from this site, so green slime or water doesn't phase me.
But what in the heck is this? Do I just continue with my normal pool opening procedure? It continues around the water edge along with the normal green algae...

Red alagae at pool opening.jpg

No, it's definitely growing. It's all around the scum line of the pool also. Bricks are not new, although the stuff is brick colored.
I just need to know if I should use a higher SLAM number if it's some sort of weird algae.

I used to get red algae in my saltwater reef tanks sometimes. I would start with a regular SLAM. If you pass the 3 criteria amd it is still present then try mustard shock 24 hour treatment.

Ok, in process of SLAMing. Balanced pH to 7.2, then Alkalinity to 110. Brought chlorine to 14 just in case it's a harder to kill algae than green. Have backwashed twice. Brushed twice. Chlorine dropped to 13 in 3 hours.
Aaaand, the red scum is now turned black. Fading, but really hard to scrub off of the waterline.

Do I treat it as black algae now that it has changed from brick red to black? Green water changing to blue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.