Oops. Pulled out the standpipe and laterals.

PhilR

Jul 21, 2013
Beaverton, OR
I was getting ready to do my annual spring deep cleaning of the sand filter, and managed to pull the standpipe and laterals out along with the multiport. The o ring had a pretty good grip on the standpipe. Everything came out intact, but now I have to get it back in.

1. Is there an easy way to do this with the sand in the filter, or do I need to remove the sand? I'm guessing I need to remove the sand.

2. Seems tedious. Any shortcuts, like using a shop vac?

3. Since I'm already pulling the sand out, should I just put new sand in? I'm in the "sand doesn't wear out" camp, but just wanted to check.

4. Any maintenance I should do, while I have it out and apart? I've deep cleaned the sand, and inspected the laterals and multiport.

Thanks

You've got it. Wet-n-dry shop vac and maybe a sheet of plastic to empty it onto if you plan to reuse the sand.

After it's all reassembled, add some water to add some buoyancy to the sand and cap the standpipe with something as you tediously scoop the sand back in.

Thanks Richard. Shop vac did the trick. Took the suggestion from another thread and put the shop vac in a wheelbarrow to contain the sand and to minimize bending down. Conveniently the opening is a little bigger than a bleach bottle so I cut the bottom off one to make a scoop. Took less than an hour to remove and replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.