Priming: Both Skimmer and Vac Line?

G

Probably a dumb question, but I'm still in my first year so thanks for your patience:

Do I need to prime both the Skim and Vac Lines?
Last year, I never paid attention to the VAC line. I vacuum my pool through the skimmer's VAC line.
The other VAC line is on the side of my pool which is never used. I've never tried priming it with that valve. Should both be primed? Should I prime the pump in the VAC line position? Seems like if I do that, I'll lose the water in the other line.

One thing is different this year so far: After my pump is shut down for a while, my pump basket drains. It fills right back up when it's turned on so I don't have to prime it again. Last year, though, the pump basket held a full amount of water after it was turned off several hours. Maybe there is still air in my lines? And maybe I need to do something about that VAC line?

rbdeli said:
Probably a dumb question, but I'm still in my first year so thanks for your patience:

Do I need to prime both the Skim and Vac Lines?
Last year, I never paid attention to the VAC line. I vacuum my pool through the skimmer's VAC line.
The other VAC line is on the side of my pool which is never used. I've never tried priming it with that valve. Should both be primed? Should I prime the pump in the VAC line position? Seems like if I do that, I'll lose the water in the other line.

One thing is different this year so far: After my pump is shut down for a while, my pump basket drains. It fills right back up when it's turned on so I don't have to prime it again. Last year, though, the pump basket held a full amount of water after it was turned off several hours. Maybe there is still air in my lines? And maybe I need to do something about that VAC line?

You can prime the pump from either circuit. You just want a path for the water to come from and to go to. Once the pump is primed and the calce it turned to vac, some air may get sucked through that was in the pipes, but that should not cause the pump to loose prime. I would not try to prime the pump with anything (like a vacuum) attached, as the resistance may prevent it from priming.

If the pump basket is filling with air, the first thing I'd check is the seal on the lid. I've found that even a little bit of dirt/stuff on the o-ring and it'll start sucking air. I assume the pump is above the waterline of the pool.

Steve

yes, my pump is a ways above my pool and priming is really difficult once it is lost.

I will check the seal on the lid, clean it good and put a little vaseline on it. It's not too much of a problem, because as I said, it always fills back up with water when it is off for a while. I just find it strange that it didn't do this last year. Also, I hear some air escaping from my sand filter when I shut down the pump. I don't remember that from a year ago either.

Thanks,

Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.