Newbie question about coping

May 13, 2009
Hi all,

We don't even have our pool yet, just gettting bids. We are going to put in an L-shaped (due to lot configuration) IG gunite pool - not sure how big yet, but not huge at all. We are going with a SWG if that matters.

We are interested in having compisite wood decking that is almost flush with the top of the pool so that the "wood" sticks out a tiny bit over the edge of the pool. Now, do we still need coping? Is it imperative to have some kind of stone/concrete "trim" even if it's not going to show?

Does that make sense?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...way new.

Thanks!
Michele in Austin, TX.

The only thing I can think of is the water line vs. the top of pool. With just a small wave, the water in my pool splashed the underside of the coping. If the 'wood' sticks out, these waves will probably cause water to splash under the wood. as the bottom of wood = top of tile = 3" above water line....

Steve

Thanks Steve,

So you're saying that its preferable to have some kind of stone coping but not an absolute? I see now, from what you said, that it might be prudent to have a few inches between pool water and deck for splash issues. Hmmm. As Im strongly considering SWG and composite, it might be a lot better to have some inches between the two.

I'm rambling...

Thanks,
Michele

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.