How long should I give streaks in pebble finish to go away?

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
We just had a remodel done with Stonescapes Tropics Blue mini pebble. The slope to the deep end and part of the deep end itself has some major "splotchy" areas, as well as dark lines in a few places. I know others have said that these type finishes take a little while to reach their final "look" but I'm wondering how long I should expect changes to continue before I decide to be unhappy with the results? Or maybe I'm just expecting too much to think it will look very uniform?

<a>
84.jpg
</a>

We have stonescape midnight blue (mini) just completed in April and have some imperfections still apparent. I believe this is a quality issue of the plaster crew since much of the bottom is a nice, uniform finish. Only a few areas in the deep end where they were probably getting tired and wanted to finish the job. I believe the 'final look' the pbs tell you is the owner's impression (getting used to it) after looking at it for a long enough time :? .

The roughness of the bottom did improve over time, though. I had to clean my cartridge filter after only about 6 weeks since they put DE in to help clear up the water initially. When I cleaned it, there was a ton of small pebbles in it from the pool cleaner. Cleaner is doing a good job and the finish is becoming smoother :) .

Either way, we have accepted these imperfections and love the finish :-D . Nothing but complements :wink: .

I have the Stonescapes Aqua Blue finish completed in April. Some variations going to the deep end as well but they are either fading in or I am getting used to them. Everyone really likes the finish; I haven't heard anyone mention seeing any imperfections. I saw some model pools with pebble finishes and none were "perfect". I think when the water spray that exposes the aggregate flows toward the deep end it can cause what you are seeing

Both my Polaris 360 and Pool Buster still pick up small pebbles. With so much small aggregate exposed I think that would be normal.

My first pool had pebble-tec, which I am installing again. It had splotches and streaks due to inadaquate acid washing. The uniqueness of pebble finish is the natural loo, but you should not see distinct changes from one area or the other. Luckily we used pebble-tec and the national rep backed us and had the licensed installer re-acid wash two more times due to their inability to get it done correctly.

Maybe you should speak with your installer and insist that the job is not done correctly or to your satisfaction?

Yes, it definitely looks like the runoff from the exposing spray left streaks. Anyone know if dropping the pH way down with the pool full will help?

Also, since there are a few that have pebble finishes contributing here, how much will the pH continue to rise due to the new finish. I've read that proper TA levels (mine is 100 right now) help keep your pH steady, but I'm having to add acid every day to keep it in range. I'm trying to keep it on the low side of normal to help with the finish.

Can't say for sure about keeping pH low will help.

I can say that I was adding acid very frequently to keep pH low. My TA was 190 early on but I just kept putting in small doses of acid 2 to 3 times a day for a week or so and that brought both down. I still add acid maybe twice a week to keep pH in range. TA is 90 now. Just doesn't take near as much acid as when it was brand new.

I did take a good look at the bottom of the pool in the sun yesterday and any streaking was very faint.

When fresh plaster is curing it can raise the PH quite quickly. You need to check the PH frequently and add acid as needed. At some point in the next several weeks this will slow down. In a couple of months the plaster will cure completely and you will stop needing to add acid (at least it will stop going up due to plaster curing, there may be other reasons you need to add acid).

I have a similar aggregate finish and I have one section about 6 inches by 6 feet that I guess would be called a dark streak. It starts at one edge and heads towards the drain. My guess is they let the acid sit too long in one section and it was draining to the main drain. The only option I have heard is to drain the pool and acid wash again. We may do that this winter when we are not using the pool.

just had our plaster guy back out and realized we don't have dark spots, we actually have light spots. The darker areas are what its supposed to look like, and the lighter areas are the leftover concrete residue. He is planning on doing a "zero ph" startup, or something like that? Essentially they're going to load it with acid to try to remove some of the remaining "cream" that wont come off. He said that it would be less harmful to the finish than draining and re-washing with acid. I'll update the post once its done.

I recently had the same process completed that laff66 mentioned in the last post. It has made a huge difference in the appearance of the finish. Much more consistent in appearance and a bit darker. The aggregate stones are much more visible. I would recommend it if your builder is up to it. I noticed it right after we initially filled the pool back in April of this year. I decided to wait to work on the finish until the cooler weather. Your pool chemical balances get all out of wack after this process though...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I"m glad you replied to this, as I forgot to update it! The process actually did help quite a bit, but it is most certainly not perfect. Plus, the zero pH actually ate all the way through to the old white plaster in a few spots on the vertical faces of two steps. It happened in places where the guys had hand-applied some plaster over some crack repairs. I guess those spots were sunken in a little after the application, and they had to build them up a little. Anyway, its been months and I'm trying to get the pool guy out to fix them. Fun.

Oh yeah, and I also have a LOT of leaks in the plumbing around the filter now after running so much acid. They tell me that high acid levels shouldn't cause that, which really gives me a lot of comfort....

we're actually okay with how it looks, its just that there are some really rough spots. There's also one long dark line that looks really obvious. Its where the acid ran down to the deep end during the acid wash.

We just had a remodel done with Stonescapes Tropics Blue mini pebble. The slope to the deep end and part of the deep end itself has some major "splotchy" areas, as well as dark lines in a few places. I know others have said that these type finishes take a little while to reach their final "look" but I'm wondering how long I should expect changes to continue before I decide to be unhappy with the results? Or maybe I'm just expecting too much to think it will look very uniform?

<a>
84.jpg
</a>
HI, our new Stonescape mini pebble pool is now 2 days old, and especially on the tanning shelf the color looks mottled like on your picture. It seems like too much of the blue plaster is showing through and not enough mini pebbles there? I asked this question to the installers but they said it would even out. Did your pool mottling ever even out, and do you possibly have any advice/information on this? Thanks Margareta

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.