Hello and quick question

May 15, 2009
Rhode Island
Hi everyone,

I just want to say thanks for all the info! I have been scouring this site for the past week and have learned a lot! I think I'm willing to commit to the BBB method (it seems much more fool proof than what the pool store suggested).

We just recently purchased an AG 21' pool. My husband installed the pool himself (with some help from some experienced friends). We finished filling the pool last night and the filter and pump ran for a few hours. I know that the next step is to test the water, but since I didn't plan ahead I don't have a good test kit. (I just have the silly strips from the pool store)

I was wondering if the local Leslie pool stores would carry the kit you recommend? I can drive to one this afternoon and then at least start to raise the CYA this weekend to get it in tip top shape for our party next weekend. Thanks in advance!!

P.S. let me know if there is anything else I should do right away!

Welcome to TFP!

It is very uncommon for a Leslie's store to actually stock one of the test kits we recommend. Perhaps one in 20 stores actually have one. I would go ahead and order a test kit via the Internet. If you do go to Leslie's, don't purchase anything other than a Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. It is very easy to mix that one up with some of the other kits they offer. If you get any of the other kits, which the sales person may push rather hard, you will probably regret it later. I recommend you order the TF100 from TF Test Kits, it is a better deal in the long run.

While you are waiting for your test kit to be delivered, you can simply add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after sunset. That should work just fine for several days, though it won't work indefinitely.

Mrs.M317 said:
Thank you!
I just called me local Leslie's and they don't have any of those test kits in stock but they do have this one
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/H...orine-Kit/D/30100/P/1:100:4000:400000/I/81330

I checked the difference between the two kits, and my "newbie" eye couldn't notice what it was. Will this one work too?
Thanks in advance!

That one is not an fas-dpd is does not use the powder. Just dug this quote from chem geek up

chem geek said:
The test you show has a DPD test, not a FAS-DPD test. So it is more limited for chlorine testing. It will bleach out at high chlorine levels (above 10 ppm) and is a colorimetric comparison test that is less accurate. You can see a demo of the FAS-DPD test here. With the FAS-DPD test you can measure both Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine with a precision of 0.2 ppm with a 25 ml sample or 0.5 ppm with a 10 ml sample. This is most useful when you are figuring out your chlorine demand so getting used to proper dosing of chlorine. Once you get into a routine and know your tub, you can usually get by with a less accurate test.

The very first time you need to shock the pool you will see the problem with that kit. The two kits are identical except for the chlorine test...that one uses the DPD color matching test and it is actually harder to do and a lot less accurate. The one we suggest uses the FAS-DPD chlorine test and is much easier, much more accurate and can test a much wider range of chlorine levels with much greater precision. The one in your link is the rebranded Taylor K-2005, the one we are suggesting is the rebranded Taylor K-2006.

You might want to consider the TF100 kit. It is actually a better value for the money.

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
It uses the same Taylor reagents but gives you more tests because it include more of the reagents
that get used up fastest! Check out the link in my sig.

Wahoo! Just got my TF100 kit in today and I just tested my pool water.

Here are my numbers:

FC - 0
CC - 0
TC - O (obviously!)
pH - 7.2
T/A - 50
CH - 120
CYA - 20
Temp - 67

Here's my plan:
1/2 jug of 12.5% chlorine (i figure go high, since my CYA is low, tell me if I'm wrong)
22 oz borax for pH
Another 1.5 lbs of CYA

First, I'm not sure about what order to do all of this

Should I add baking soda right now or wait until the pH goes up?

Am I correct in thinking that I don't need to worry about CH because i have a vinyl pool?

Thanks in advance! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed now!

You are on the right track.

It is already afternoon. I would hold off on adding chlorine till just a little later in the evening, so it can not be lost to sunlight and have maximum effect. Lower CYA levels mean you need less chlorine. I would aim for about 5 ppm.

CYA can go in right away. I would put it in a sock in the skimmer. Leave the pump running for 24 hours.

You need to raise both PH and TA. Since PH is kind of acceptable, I would raise TA first and not bother with PH until the TA change has had time to mix in. Changing the TA will change the PH, so retest PH after TA is adjusted and before adjusting PH.

Ok, here's an update.

I added about 100 oz (7 small boxes) of baking soda and my TA is now 100.

I also added the 1.5 lbs of stabilizer (it is in the basket, hopefully dissolving)

My pH seems to be holding steady at 7.2 Is is ok to add the borax now? Or should I wait?

Chlorine will be added in a few hours when it is dark.

Thanks in advance! You have all been so helpful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.