Pristine blue to BBB conversion...

May 27, 2016
spring hill, fl
Hey what's up everyone...i did a search and read up on the conversion, bought a test kit and everything and I have some results for you.

Copper - .15
Total Alk - 50ppm
Chlorine - 0.5-1(was pretty much crystal clear)
pH - was above 8.2 and darker purple than the test kit indicated
calcium hardness - 120ppm
CYA - never got cloudy so i assume it's under 30ppm

the test water was a milky green with a film on the top of the water.

if anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance for your responses!

Current situation
20160527_132629_zpstcdvi4ys.jpg

20160527_132649_zpsdlhe9cxf.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: We'd be glad to help where we can. I need to ask the first big question ..... what test kit was used for those test results? I suspect you have an algae situation there, but I'd like to clarify some things about those numbers.

Okay, that is about the equivalent fo the Taylor K-2005 test kit. It has everything EXCEPT for the FAS-DPD portion that you need HERE. So I would order that FAS-DPD kit right away. If you can swing a SPEED STIR for $38 I would also encourage that as well.

Now that test kit doesn't test for copper, so can you tell me how you got that number? Also, do you know where the copper came from? Often times it's from pool store products like algaecide. Have you added any of that to the water in the past? For the algae you will need to SLAM (link below). You will need that FAS-DPD test portion I noted earlier and a good amount of regular bleach. You will also need to increase CYA to 30 - you need it at 30. pH needs to be lowered with muriatic acid (slowly) near a return jet. You want it about 7.2 (orange). Mix well with the pump and you can also sweep around.

Until you get the FAS-DPD, just add about 1/2 gallon of bleach to the water each day. When you get the FAS-DPD test portion, you will increase FC to 12 and keep it there 24/7 until you pass the SLAM (link below). Give this afew minutes to process, re-read it and the SLAM page, and let us know if you have any questions.

okay, i'll run back to the store, i believe i saw the fas/dpd kit there and grab some bleach as well.

the copper came from the pristine blue chemicals as far as i know. I haven't added any other chemicals to the pool...i was going to get it up and running again with the pristine blue, then saw a couple threads about the dis-satisfaction with pb and how it's not sanitary while googling the cheapest place to re order my pb stuff as it's so expensive...I have had the pool for a little over 2 years, this is the 2nd time it will be up and running...it sat all winter and up until about 2 weeks ago covered up...the water was clear and had some algae in the bottom, and it got stirred up because i ran my polaris through it and turned it to what you see now lol.

i grabbed a water sample about elbow deep and stuck the copper test stip in the water for about 30 seconds. googled images for color test results and the best i could come up with was it's about .15 copper.

The copper content will be your biggest concern - other than getting the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) for the FC testing. Test strips are so unreliable, your copper could be higher (or lower). I just want you to be prepared (if it happens) that if you should begin to increase FC later and find the pool changing to a green tint, it's because of the copper. A pool your size it wouldn't be all that difficult to exchange some of that copper-filled water if needed, so just keep that in mind. If you decide to exchange some water now while waiting for the FAS-DPD portion (if not found locally) it may save some time all-around. Either way, you will need to do the "SLAM" as noted in the link below to eliminate the algae. Chlorine is your best defense for algae, and regular liquid bleach works perfect when matched to the current CYA as noted above. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Okay so a little update...i let the test strip sit too long in the water when i originally tested. Re-tested and it looks to be at 1ppm. Currently, i am draining some of the water and will replace. I have not added any of the liquid chlorine to the water yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your quick responses. The supply store did not have fas/dpd portion of the kit...so i will be ordering one shortly.

Very good. Good decisions and updates. Once you get the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) please let us know if you have any questions. In the meantime, once you are finished with some water exchange and refill, try to confirm CYA is 30 and pH is at 7.2. You can add bleach for a rock-solid 5 FC (bright red) for now, or just add about 1/2 gallon of bleach each day. Once the FAS-DPD arrives, then you become almost "surgical" in FC precision. :)

Very good. Good decisions and updates. Once you get the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) please let us know if you have any questions. In the meantime, once you are finished with some water exchange and refill, try to confirm CYA is 30 and pH is at 7.2. You can add bleach for a rock-solid 5 FC (bright red) for now, or just add about 1/2 gallon of bleach each day. Once the FAS-DPD arrives, then you become almost "surgical" in FC precision. :)

image updates: drained a good amount of water out of the pool, managed to clean about half of the bottom of the pool before I lost suction...couldn't get it going again so i just decided to continue with draining it via gravity. once it's filled to the proper amount i'll run the pump and dump the chlorine in it to help stop the growth of the algae while brushing up what i can. Any particular tips for the process? algae problem doesn't seem like it's all that bad to cure, but the water is still pretty murky.

20160527_195132_zpsbwbilwbw.jpg

20160527_195200_zpsjc0igoyf.jpg

20160527_195137_zpsgtheaeav.jpg

20160527_195203_zpsot3mhlba.jpg

Once you fill it up we can go back to the SLAM basics and see how that water reacts:
- pH adjusted to 7.2
- CYA increased to 30
- FC increased to 12
Then follow everything on the SLAM page each day, but you don't have to check pH again until after the SLAM. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wonderful! Now don't give-up on that SLAM though. Maintain that FC of 12 as long as that CYA is 30. No need to test anything else right now except primarily FC to keep that SLAM level. You can test CC from time to time, and perhaps CYA every couple days to make sure you're still at the correct SLAM level. It will work. Stay with it until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Have a great day.

Definitely add the bleach to increase FC to 12. You'll probably need to make a run to the store for more. :) Buy whatever is the best bargain - generic bleach is fine (plain). Just use the Poolmath Calculator (link below) to figure-out exactly how much to add for each dosage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.