LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am considering replacing my pump and filter this year.

Information about my set-up:
- 27,000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool
- Three 1.5" suction lines, 2 skimmers, 1 drain
- Three 1.5" return lines to 4 eyeballs, plus separate 1.5" line for pressure side pool cleaner
- Pump is maybe 12" higher than water level
- Electric rates are ~$0.13/kWh
- Currently I have a booster pump for my Polaris 280, but in the future I'd be interested in eliminating that pump. Maybe go to Polaris 360? So may want main pump large enough to operate Polaris 360.

Pictures of current set-up attached.

Please provide recommendations for pump and cartridge filter.

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 67
The pump is shutting off occasionally. I believe it is tripping a temperature overload switch? Also, would like a more energy efficient pump. The pump housing is not in great shape, so I would like to replace the whole pump (vs just the motor).

The filter is OK, but I think it's a little undersized for my pool (30 sq. ft. DE).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order to turn the pool over in 8 hrs. you would need to pump between 55-60 gallons per minute. That would be pushing the filter to almost max gpm. You probably would be better off with a VS pump, so you could better control the flow. As for which one that is the ?

Yes, I will definitely be switching to a 2-speed or VS pump. I will also like switch to a larger filter - probably a 300-400 sq. ft. cartridge filter.

I'm looking for advice on which specific models people would recommend.

If I were to switch to a Pentair VS with the built in timer, is there an easy way to ensure my booster pump or heater don't run when the pump is off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool turn overs are not important in residential pools. I run my pump at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm.

Here is a good VS pump option and a couple of places to buy it
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001 sunplay.com
Pentair SuperFlo VS 1-1/2 HP Variable Speed Pump (220V ) - 342000 - INYOPools.com

My pump runs on its own built in timer. My booster pump and SWG are each on their own timer and I make sure they are set to run only when the pump is running. I haven't installed my heat pump yet so I'm not sure how I am going to set it up to run with the pump.

I think I am going to go with a Pentair SuperFlo 1hp 2-speed pump (model 340042). I am also going to change my filter to a Hayward SwimClear C4030 (425 sq. ft. cartridge).

My heater requires at least 25gpm. Will I get that out of the 1hp SuperFlo at 1725rpm? I don't want to end up having to install an automation system to run my pump on high speed when the heater is running. If I have to do that, I think I would go with the SuperFlo VS.

I'm not sure about that, depends how efficient your plumbing is, it could be close. If your plumbing is simple (not a lot of 90s, valves, etc) and your pump is close to water level you will be OK. But, if there is much more than 10' of head then it will be close and a 1-1/2 hp 2 speed will be better. Which will still save money over the 1hp single speed.

A 2 speed pump will move 1/2 the water and use 1/4 the electricity on low as it does on high.

Go here, http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-superflo-high-performance-pumps-165.htm
Look at specs to see which curve to look at and then look at the curve.

Yes, I had looked at the pump curves and also concluded that it will be close. I used Mark's pump spreadsheet and estimated about 42' of head with my current 1hp running at high speed. This was 9' of suction head plus 33' return head. So, running at 1725 rpm there would be about 10' of head. Hopefully when I change my filter to a large cartridge filter the situation will improve.

If I have to go to a 1.5hp 2-speed pump, then I feel like the investment in a VS pump becomes worthwhile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, good, you've done good research. VS pump also eliminates all risk. But, short season extends the payback time. It also means you need to make sure the heater works! A bit of a conundrum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.