Yet another new (well, new to me) pool owner

May 24, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
Hey everyone, hopefully the regulars around here aren't getting tired of being bombarded with questions from pool noobs like me. I am kinda just introducing myself and asking a question.

So my wife and I bought our house this past winter and it came with a pool that was built in 2002. I knew nothing about pools, so I had the local pool company that the previous owners had used come open it last week, and got a "pool school" from them, which consisted of showing my how to use the pump/filter/vacuum/heater, which was extremely helpful because I had no idea what to do with them, but as far as water maintenance they basically told me to throw a bunch of chlorine pucks into the automatic feeder and bring water into the store once a week to be tested. Oh, and shock the pool once a week.

That didn't sound right to me, so I took to the internet in hopes of finding a better way, and it lead me here. I've been lurking for the past week, reading everything on the site, and feel like I really have the TFPC system down. Unfortunately I had already bought a giant bucket of chlorine pucks and a cheap liquid test kit that measured FC, PH and TA. I had the pucks in the feeder for a couple days before I took them out and started just using bleach, but I had no idea what my CYA was... until today when my Taylor k-2006 kit came. And here is where I finally get to my question...

My FC is 13, and my CYA is less than 30... I never got the black dot to disappear which means the pool must've not had any CYA in it before I ran the pucks, right? I really want to swim this weekend, but the FC is just way too high. It's super sunny out today, and is going to be tomorrow as well... how much FC will the sun burn off in two days with little to no CYA in the pool? Should I drain some water and replace it to help bring the FC down? and once the FC gets to a reasonable level, can I put some pucks in the feeder to get my CYA up, or should I just buy some stabilizer?

Also, here are the rest of my numbers, in case they lead to any insight anyone may have. I know I need to bring my Ph up, I'm about to work on that now.

FC: 13
CC: 0
Ph: 7.1
TA: 70
CH: 160
CYA: <30

Thanks to everyone here, I'm so glad this place has taught me how to properly care for my pool.

Test it tonight. I'll bet it's under 10. SLAM level for CYA=30 is about 12, so you should be golden by tomorrow.

FYI The pucks are useful for vacations and for every day use provided your pool has regular splash out, meaning every time someone exits the pool, they take a certain volume of water (with CYA) with them. Not a lot but it adds up. I presume you'll do a partial drain before closing the pool at the end of the season as well. Stabilizer will drain along with that water as well.

Bottom line is don't turn completely away from the pucks. They have their place.

Test it tonight. I'll bet it's under 10. SLAM level for CYA=30 is about 12, so you should be golden by tomorrow.

FYI The pucks are useful for vacations and for every day use provided your pool has regular splash out, meaning every time someone exits the pool, they take a certain volume of water (with CYA) with them. Not a lot but it adds up. I presume you'll do a partial drain before closing the poo at the end of the season as well. Stabilizer will drain along with that water as well.

Bottom line is don't turn completely away from the pucks. They have their place.

Oh I'm not getting rid of them or anything... I've read others say they basically last forever so over time I will slowly use them. Vacations are probably out for awhile since we just destroyed our savings account putting the down payment on this place, but I am probably going to get one of those floating dispenser things and use them once in awhile and monitor my Ph and CYA when I am using them. I'm just not going to go the "set it and forget it" route of cramming my automatic feeder with them like the pool store told me to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.