Pool completely green - nothing has helped!

Bedlam

May 27, 2016
Londerry/NH
20k inground pool.

Since opening, the pool is completely green. I shocked the heck out of it, for days now. No change.

It has only about 3-4 ft of visibility.

I added 8 gallons of shock (12%), just yesterday. The day before, 4 gallons of bleach. 10 bags of powdered shock in the last week.
Ran filter 12 hour runs, then even 24, backwashing the sand filter every few hours or in the morning if I ran it overnight. Still, NO change. Chlorine feeder (in-line) is maxxed out.

I've got the Alkalinity correct, and the PH, and chrlorine levels are very high, STILL, no change.

I'm starting to think it's not the chlorine, and but the filter is NOT filtering the algae.

I read that dead algae is brown or grey, but this isn't happening. No matter how much shock I put it, the pool is still green. There doesn't seem to be algae growing on the walls, just in the water.

I moved here only 2.5 years ago and have no idea how old the sand filter is, or if the sand needs replacement. Should I replace the sand anyway for better filtration? I didn't have this problem in previous summers.

When I backwash, you can see a lot of green coming back out, but the water color, if anything, got WORSE by this morning (in the pool), after 8 gallons of shock, and running the filter for 24 hours (including at least 4-6 backwashes).

I'm at my wits end here. Never had a problem like this that wouldn't clear up in a week before.

Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Filters don't clear algae. Never have, never will. Stop thinking about the filter. The sand when new was already millions of years old, it doesn't wear out. You gotta kill the algae, kill it dead.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, like the powdered shock that is doing more harm than good.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Is your in-line feeder using tablets or is it a liquid feeder? If it is the former, I'd say it's not doing much good in getting your chlorine to the appropriate level to get in front of the Algae bloom. They don't seem to dissolve very quickly. Stick with the liquid "shock." How quickly did you add the Chlorine? If I venture a guess, you were probably maintaining a certain level, but not nearly high enough, depending on how fast you added it. Also, how old was it and how was it stored?

A proper test kit is essential. Once you have your test kit, post a panel of results. In the meantime, get familiar with Pool School and SLAM procedures, including the links that Tim has posted.

You have a classic case of merry-go-round pool chemistry. As Tim has mentioned above we rely on accurate testing from a recommended test kit. You can then work out what is happening with your pool.It is likely that you are going to need to SLAM the pool -the key is to hold the shock level of FC based on accurate test results to clear the green. It is a process of regular chorine additions rather than a mass dumping.

Welcome! :wave:

Does your pool look worse than this?

pool-wideshot.jpg

pool-steps.jpg

pool-skimmer.jpg

Here's the After shot

pool-sparkly.gif

Just do what he did. There are many other good picture threads in Recovering my old inspirational links If they can do it, you can do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.