Cracked Sand Filter - Looking For A Replacement

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
Morning everyone. Well last night my sand filter gave out and it looks like I am in need of a replacement. I am not sure how old the sand filter is (it came with the house). My pump and motor is about 4 years old (bought new with the house).

Anyways I was vacuuming the pool last night and backwashing once the pressure increased from about 12psi to 20 or so psi. All of a sudden after two or three backwashes the bottom of the filter split open. I am wondering if I did something wrong, or if this is due to old age, or a combo. I thought the filters were rated for much higher pressure (50psi??).

Now I am looking for a replacement. I have approximately a 16,000 gallon in ground pool. Currently have an AO Smith SP1605Z1M motor. Unfortunately I did not write down the model number of the actual pump itself.

I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure....any assistance on a replacement filter would be appreciated. I was thinking either a Hayward S180T or S210T

Thanks all!

View attachment 48880View attachment 48881View attachment 48882

That's old. My original filter was Pac Fab too. I don't recall when Pentair bought them, but it's been a while.

You can likely get exactly the same filter today, just with a Pentair name. It makes installation a breeze. That's what I did.

Since I was in it, I ditched what I had. It was installed around 1982 and I didn't think to save it. I sawed off the top of the filter with a sawzall and shoveled most of it out.

But to answer your question, the right way is to use a shop vac, transfer it in batches to a wheelbarrow or whatever, then you can put it back in the new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.