It's a new year!

We have had all bad luck with our pool or so it seems :) Last year we had to put a new liner in because the new one we had put in the year before was given to us in the inco ourrect size. we paid to truck in water and enjoyed it all year with little problems and closed it down. This spring we opened it up to find we had had a leak :( so we patched it and paid for some new water and filled the rest with our well water which we know is high in rust/iron. so we finally got it filled up so we can turn the filter on and i started that this morning. With 1 gallon of muriatic acid i got the pH to right between 7.2 and 7-.5 so i began adding the chlorine and leaving the pump running. I am picking up CYA this morning as there is none reading on that test as well as of course no chlorine. Is there another test I need to be worried about right now due to the high iron content? Or just continue with slaming and see how it goes?

If you have a lot of Iron in the pool, it will probably turn colors when the bleach hits it in force. If you're lucky, it will precipitate out as rust dust that you can vacuum up and backwash away. Layer some paper towels or polyester pillow batting in the skimmer if it's just tinted. That will remove a whole lot of Iron, believe it or not.

When you add CYA, aim low. You can raise it later, but for a SLAM, 30 CYA is about ideal.

FC & CC tests only during the SLAM.

Any idea what your known iron levels are? You could well be a candidate for some sequestrant.
I have the TF100 test kit does that contain a test for iron?

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a lot of Iron in the pool, it will probably turn colors when the bleach hits it in force. If you're lucky, it will precipitate out as rust dust that you can vacuum up and backwash away. Layer some paper towels or polyester pillow batting in the skimmer if it's just tinted. That will remove a whole lot of Iron, believe it or not.

When you add CYA, aim low. You can raise it later, but for a SLAM, 30 CYA is about ideal.

FC & CC tests only during the SLAM.

We were pretty brown before i started this whole process and right now it is a green between dark green and medium green but i dont see any visible algae

I have the TF100 test kit does that contain a test for iron?

- - - Updated - - -

We were pretty brown before i started this whole process and right now it is a green between dark green and medium green but i dont see any visible algae
That's normal. Really it's yellowish-orange but against the blue pool it looks green. Try the paper towels. You probably have a roll sitting in the kitchen already. Betcha they look orange in a couple of hours.

Even if you don't see any algae and don't need a SLAM, I'd still aim low with the CYA. It's easy to add more CYA, hard to remove if you overshoot, and if you do discover some algae, it'll be quick work to get rid of it. Once the water is clear and you know the FC is holding, go ahead and raise it.

That's normal. Really it's yellowish-orange but against the blue pool it looks green. Try the paper towels. You probably have a roll sitting in the kitchen already. Betcha they look orange in a couple of hours.

Even if you don't see any algae and don't need a SLAM, I'd still aim low with the CYA. It's easy to add more CYA, hard to remove if you overshoot, and if you do discover some algae, it'll be quick work to get rid of it. Once the water is clear and you know the FC is holding, go ahead and raise it.

OK Took new FC and CC test FC is 8 CC is 1. The color hasnt changed very much. The paper towels were definitely orange tinted but not overly orange. should the color be changing already? I feel like last year when I did this after adding chlorine it cleared up the greenness pretty quickly? THere is also a little bit of white foaminess in some areas? Are there any other tests I should be doing?

OK Took new FC and CC test FC is 8 CC is 1. The color hasnt changed very much. The paper towels were definitely orange tinted but not overly orange. should the color be changing already? I feel like last year when I did this after adding chlorine it cleared up the greenness pretty quickly? THere is also a little bit of white foaminess in some areas? Are there any other tests I should be doing?
If all the green was algae, then you might see a color change after 3 hours just from the bleach killing it. But Iron takes longer.

Foam is not uncommon during a SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.