Electronic timer for the pool

Aug 17, 2015
Manassas, VA
First time posting. I have a new 10K Gal pool - SWG, electric HeatPump, T-9 salt cell, 1.5hp pump. All Hayward.
My working schedule is very hectic, unpredictable with often 24 hours out of home. My wife and all electic - not a good match:). This is why I am thinking to install timer.
As I understand, please correct me if wrong, If I put pump on timer and keep SG cell in auto, salt will start generation when flow is on?
Same with HeatPump.
Any damage to T-9 cell or HeatPump in standby mode? Do I need to put timer on all 3 devices?
What timer (model, make) you will recommend?
Any points I missed?

Thanks ,
Ed.

Put pump and SWG on same timer. Don't depend on the flow sensor. If something goes wrong, you can have a dangerous situation. Heater, same thing.

The timer is up to you. Anything from the mechanical timers to electronic ones, they all work just fine.

Make sure your timer is matched to the amps you expect to pull. They make cheap timers which you can plug into an outlet then plug your pump into the timer but they are only rated for something like 15 amps. You will likely need something a little more beefy which are often required to be hard wired in.

Is there an electrical panel at or near the pool equipment pad that all the equipment it wired through? If so, you may want to post a picture of it here (open the door to it first). That may help us to make further suggestions.

Usually, the pool pump and SWG can be wired through the timer interface. The heater may need to be on a separate electrical breaker though. If so, it can't be wired through the same timer. Seeing a picture of any panel you may have will help us to assist you better.

Is there an electrical panel at or near the pool equipment pad that all the equipment it wired through? If so, you may want to post a picture of it here (open the door to it first). That may help us to make further suggestions.

Usually, the pool pump and SWG can be wired through the timer interface. The heater may need to be on a separate electrical breaker though. If so, it can't be wired through the same timer. Seeing a picture of any panel you may have will help us to assist you better.

Actually, all devices on separate breakers. And I assume that I need at least two timers for pump and SWG. And I would keep heat pump on standby mode - when pool pump is ON - if temperature of pool water lower then my setting - HeatPump will turn ON.
Regarding timers - on Amazon quite a few people complaining about Intermatic timers. Should I be concern and look for specific model? I knew about choosing timer according Amps pulling by device.
What about mechanical vs electronic? I would need at least two ON-OFF during 24 hours period and different for weekend - probably electronic timer allows me to achieve this?

Thank you,

Ed.

So there's a sub panel at the equipment pad? If so, is there room inside for any timers? A picture would help.

I'm more a fan of mechanical timers. If the power goes out, the duration of run time remains set, even though the actual clock time may be incorrect. Why do you need differing run start times on weekends?

The Intermatic mechanical timers are usually rock solid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.