Help! New pool owner

May 26, 2016
virginia beach, va
Hello! I am so happy to join Trouble Free Pool forum. We bought our house with a pool last summer. My husband seemed to have no issues with taking care of the pool. It was great. Right now my husband is deployed and so its been left to me and I am struggling. I am putting an order of the test kit in so in the meantime I brought a pool sample to our pool store. I had told her the chlorine level was non existent (from the test strips I still have). The pool was not green but it was cloudy. From their testing:

pH 7.2
alkalinity 74
calcium hardness 111
total chlorine .91
free chlorine .24
chlorine stabilizer 30

They recommended I add 12 lbs of alkalinity increaser and 3 jugs of the liquid chlorine. Of course once I brushed the walls and floors, the pool started to look more on the green side. Not horrible but a greenish tint. They assured me my kids would be able to swim this weekend. This morning I found the pool to still be cloudy and a green. Using my test strips (I know... ) the Free chlorine measured very high. Is it still possible for my kids to enjoy the pool this holiday weekend? Please HELP!!!!...

How big is your pool?

It is not safe to swim in a pool that you can't see the bottom of.

Best bet is to probably add some* bleach every day with the pump running 24/7 and wait on the test kit.

The size question answers this.

Still waiting on the test kit ( I suppose the long holiday weekend is the reason). I have been adding bleach for days and scrubbing daily. Yesterday and today the water was no longer green once scrubbed. Now it remains blue but cloudy. I have only added bleach since our last post. ( I had added 10 oz of clarifier right before I joined this forum. Any suggestions until the test kit comes in?

Here are a couple :

1. Fill out your signature :)

2. Post a picture or two of your pool.
98ae5dc90d196bdee40e1617d4c9008d.jpg

Hello! I am so happy to join Trouble Free Pool forum. We bought our house with a pool last summer. My husband seemed to have no issues with taking care of the pool. It was great. Right now my husband is deployed and so its been left to me and I am struggling. I am putting an order of the test kit in so in the meantime I brought a pool sample to our pool store. I had told her the chlorine level was non existent (from the test strips I still have). The pool was not green but it was cloudy. From their testing:

pH 7.2
alkalinity 74
calcium hardness 111
total chlorine .91
free chlorine .24
chlorine stabilizer 30

They recommended I add 12 lbs of alkalinity increaser and 3 jugs of the liquid chlorine. Of course once I brushed the walls and floors, the pool started to look more on the green side. Not horrible but a greenish tint. They assured me my kids would be able to swim this weekend. This morning I found the pool to still be cloudy and a green. Using my test strips (I know... ) the Free chlorine measured very high. Is it still possible for my kids to enjoy the pool this holiday weekend? Please HELP!!!!...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doesn't look too shabby! Keep stirring things up (brushing) and don't backwash your filter until you get to 25% over your post backwash psi.

Sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HI,

Yes, keep adding about 1/2gallon of bleach a day until your test kit arrives and brush brush brush. Once your test kit arrives, post up a full set of numbers for us. Also, you didn't buy that 12pounds of alkalinity increaser did you? I'd return that if you can. You can raise your alkalinity with baking soda but yours wasn't terribly low. Let's wait for YOUR test numbers.

Yeap! Just scrub and add bleach! It IS that easy. It will be even easier once your test kit gets there.

Signature:

-settings (upper right hand side)
-edit signature (middle left hand side)
-put in pool size and kind, equipment size and kind, test kit

I love your pool and area! That is SO pretty!

Kim:cat:

I finally received my kit! I first tested the free chlorine. So I was upwards of 50 drops to try and get the solution to go from pink to clear and it never happened. I started all over with a smaller sample and got 23ppm. Does that sound way off? Here are the additional readings so far this morning:

FC 23ppm
pH 7.4
Alkalinity 210
Calcium Hardness 120
CYA 35

Advice Please!

Well you will not need to add any chlorine for a little while LOL.

Did you test for CC? If not please do so and report.

PH-do not test for PH when FC is over 10. You will get false readings.

CYA-call it 40. We round this one up.

What kind of pool do you have? plaster, vinyl Please put that in your siggy as well. (THANKS for filling that out!)

How does your water look today?

:hug: you are doing it! Was it fun to do the tests?

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.