New Intex pool build soon, concrete pad expansion joints and best tarp

ladman

May 25, 2016
Murrieta, CA.
Trying to see if our new Intex 18x52 will last longer this year vs the Coleman last year which leaked within weeks and a bad pump a few months later. I plan on putting this pool up within a few days and on the concrete pad (9 years old and solid) there are the usual expansion joints in the concrete. Curious if I should place some sand in those joints to prevent the liner from filling in those areas. Or other remedy? Additionally, I see the Harbor Freight tarps come up, are the silver tarps the recommended tarp for under the pool? I know the silly tarp which comes with the pool will last one month tops.

Thanks,

Trying to see if our new Intex 18x52 will last longer this year vs the Coleman last year which leaked within weeks and a bad pump a few months later. I plan on putting this pool up within a few days and on the concrete pad (9 years old and solid) there are the usual expansion joints in the concrete. Curious if I should place some sand in those joints to prevent the liner from filling in those areas. Or other remedy? Additionally, I see the Harbor Freight tarps come up, are the silver tarps the recommended tarp for under the pool? I know the silly tarp which comes with the pool will last one month tops.

Thanks,

Those tarps will not provide much cushion over concrete. I suggest using insulation foam boards as others have used here, or the interlocking foam boards which I have used, no issues with the expansion joints.

Is your concrete pitched slightly? Just keep that mind. You can be a little off level.

Those tarps will not provide much cushion over concrete. I suggest using insulation foam boards as others have used here, or the interlocking foam boards which I have used, no issues with the expansion joints.

Is your concrete pitched slightly? Just keep that mind. You can be a little off level.

3/4" foam is what I used and it is great. That will float over your expansion joints without issue. As Mike stated though, check the pitch of the current pad as it should have been when poured.

Mine is 4" and is fine for about a year now.. ?
ca90b0a81b525bf3465209468f50a3a7.jpg

Taterfink, how are your pool's metal parts?. My ultra intex is rusting severely in Jax after only one year with swg. This is the dogs pool primarily so it gets salt water splashed on the components frequently. But it looks terrible compared to our previous ultra intex without salt

Definitely check the pitch on the pad. You may not see it but you could be off anywhere from 2"-5" and that's not safe.

Taterfink, how are your pool's metal parts?. My ultra intex is rusting severely in Jax after only one year with swg. This is the dogs pool primarily so it gets salt water splashed on the components frequently. But it looks terrible compared to our previous ultra intex without salt
Have you seen my post on not using the metal frame? Will se how it goes in about a month from now. The idea is to hang it directly in my wooden deck.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.