New water after liner replacement - which steps to do first??

Jun 13, 2014
Mendon/MA
21k gal, inground, pool heater, vinyl liner that is now brand new. Had crystal clear well water trucked in to fill the pool. I'm not a newbie to TFP or maintaining levels on my own, but I haven't had to do a big swing on so many variables before. I know what steps to take, I just don't know if I should do one in any specific order.

Here are my readings from my TF-100 test kit. I didn't test chlorine or CYA as I didn't add any and they aren't naturally found in deep wells :D
pH - 6.7
TA - 40
CH - 40
FC/CC - 0
CYA - 0

Should I really just bring the FC up to 3, toss in 2 boxes of borax, 19lbs of baking soda, 51lbs of calcium chloride, and 7lbs of stabilizer all at once? (pool math output) I was planning on having people over on Saturday and I will be starting whatever process it is I am going to do on Friday. What do you suggest? I'm concerned about the CH/TA/pH levels and my pool heater as I want to run that as well.

Get some bleach in the water right away.
Then fumble with the CYA and the sock.
Then add half your Borax.
Brush everything good, then go have a drink.
Recheck pH and TA and work them up by half steps. You just did pH, so next do TA. Brush a few strokes, then rest and wait. Then back to pH. Back and forth until you're in range. There's no reason to micromanage the levels to reach some target you just grabbed out of thin air. If pH settles in somewhere between 7.5 and 7.8, leave it. TA, anything above 60. FC should stay below 3 until the CYA is dissolved, then raise FC to match.

I wouldn't even bother with the Calcium since your pool doesn't need it anyway. But if you're determined, add it after the pH/TA/FC are set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.