PH 7.0 and Br 18.5, increase my PH with Borax?

May 13, 2016
Bolingbrook/IL
Hi Everyone,

It's been raining here in Chicago and I've had my solar cover on and left my Frog (getting rid of this when my heater gets installed) on at 4. I tested my water today and my results were from My ColorQ Pro 7 were FC 9.85, TCL 9.85, Ph 7.0, Alk 96, CH 124, and CYA 22. My Br level is at 18.5. I'm getting a water heater installed this Saturday. It turned off the frog. Do I increase my Ph to 7.4 first. Is having the FC of 9.85 ok? seems like its at shock level.

Thanks for the help.
-Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm not sure how accurate the ColorQ is, so...I would trust the Taylor kit more.... anyways.
With CYA at 20ish, your FC is at shock level. Let it drift back down on its own. Its ok to install the heater with FC at that level.

It wouldn't hurt to get your pH up a bit. 7 is bordering on not good.

You really want to keep an eye on the pH after your heater is installed so those new heater pipes stay in good shape.
Just keep in recommended range, and you'll be good.

Hope this helps,

Hey, miked 19,

Yeah you can broadcast that Borax or slowly pour it in front of a return. It dissolves quite readily so it's no big deal.

You have no bromine in your pool. It is not part of your testing routine.......it the chlorine you test for.

Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to learn what the parameters are that we test for, why we test for them, and how to move them where we want them.

Get a good working knowledge of that article.

I'll be the contrary one, here.

If the TA is 96, some vigorous aeration should drive that pH up in a couple hours. Is it possible to angle a return upwards so it causes a big ripple on the surface, or even a geyser? Do you have a child who owns a kickboard? He or she will churn up the water good, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.