Nasties in the pool...

Apr 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
So, tonight I went to do my daily pool test and noticed a dead field mouse at the bottom of the pool, as I was upping the chlorine level. We did swim last night, so this was definitely a fresh addition this afternoon and hadn't been there longer than 10 hours or so. My FC was at 3.5 and I added enough chlorine to bring it up to 6 and the PH was at 7.5, so I didn't add any acid, but the dead animal worries me. From reading other posts about the subject, I found that the apparently obvious action to take is to shock the pool, but the post I found was dealing with a badly torn up dead animal in the skimmer that had been there a few days. I found this guy at the bottom of the pool, in one piece and he hadn't been there that long, so my question is: should I just go ahead and shock the pool, or will I be okay if I just do an OCLT to ensure the water is still sanitized? My gut says when in doubt I should probably just shock, but wanted to get opinions here too.

I just remove the dead animals and go about my business. No extra chlorine ... Although it would not hurt. Just need to be sure it never dropped below the minimum for your CYA.

I hate to admit it but I get something dead out of the pool/skimmer at least every week. We are on a large wooded lot so lots of creatures around. Most are small frogs that cant get back out and end up in the skimmer, but ehrye ahve been others that may have had assistance from one of our five cats.

If you are keeping your FC in line for your CYA then just move on. If your testing shows a drop in FC, bring it up to where it should be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.