opening new intex 12x30 pool advice please

jered

May 20, 2016
marietta, ny
new intex 12x30 metal frame pool. I have about 6 inches of water in it to weight it down and the rest is getting delivered tomorrow. unfortunately I won't be home until approx 11pm to do anything including starting the pump! I upgraded to the 1000gph intex cartridge pump and I also purchased the intex Krystal klear saltwater system cs8110. I have 40lbs of pool salt that I will add tomorrow night and then run the pump but not the salt water system for 24 hours as per the instructions. after that I will run the cartridge pump twice a day for 4hrs each time and the saltwater system twice a day for 2hrs each time (while the pump is also running of course). so... what else should I do? should I start with bleach also and if so, how much? any other chemicals? also, I read the copper thing in the salt water system is a bad thing. should I remove it? how? please don't tell me I should've got something else instead or that I need a bigger pump with a sand filter or whatever. I have what I have and the budget for the month is already blown! so other than maybe some chemicals there is no money for additional purchases. I solemnly promise to buy a proper test kit as soon as the finances allow but in the mean time I'm using the test strips that came with the salt water system that test for copper, fc, ph, and total alkalinity. any useful advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate that the pool will probably be filled for 12 hours before I can start the pump but I can't avoid it. also, full disclosure, I couldn't get all the wrinkles out of the liner and I'm about 1.5" off level. I'm gonna live with it? thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

you can pool brush 1/2 cup of bleach in your water now, just stir it around and it will be good, try to pour it a little at a time while walking around the pool

Here are the directions to remove the copper piece out if you have that SWG :)

How to remove copper bars in Intex SWG

The test strips while not great they will get you through until you can get a test kit, run your SWG and pump about 8 hours a day

use poolmath to find out what you need for your new friend http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

get everything from walmart :)

Grab 1 gallon of pool shock 2.50 you will use this if the chlorine gets low or if a bunch of kids get in all at once (the SWG keeps steady chlorine but does not raise it fast)
grab 1 HTC pool stabilizer 100% CYA
see if the have muriatic acid (probably not) get that at lowes in the outdoor section

from poolmath it says you have about 2500 gallons for your pool
put 1 pound CYA in a sock and float it in your pool, this will protect the chlorine and help your SWG
try to keep your free chlorine at 4 on your strips

use MA to keep your pH at 7.5 or so

you have bought under 10 dollars of chemicals needed

I hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.