New owner from South Carolina

May 17, 2015
Greenville, SC
Two of the houses my parents owned when I was growing up had pools and I usually vacuumed them but my dad always set up the vacuum and did the chemicals. My wife and I bought our third house in late 2014 and this one has a pool, so now I get to learn all about all things pool related.

We have a lot of trees around the house and while the previous owners never covered it, I decided I really did not want to care for a pool year round so I bought a cover at the end of 2014 and had a local pool company close it. They opened it in 2015 and cleaned it for three or four weeks while we were working on renovations and then we took over and have been doing it since then.

Overall it has been pretty easy but there are a few things I am starting to work on to make the gunnite surface look better (posted in the 'Just Getting Started' forum tonight to get input).

The pool is considered a Grecian shape (kind of reminds me of a barbell) and is supposed to be in the 40k gallon range according to some paperwork I found on it. I believe it was build in 1987 and it has a sand filter. When it comes time for major repair work, I will probably switch to a salt system.

Welcome to TFP! We would be happy to assist you in any way we can. Our goal is to make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to pool care. Love your pool description btw. Do you mind adding your filter type, along with pump type and HP? Also what method do you use to care for your pool?