Stay the course or is a change in direction necessary

DTK113:
Yes....By 1530 Sunday I had gotten the FC to drop naturally to 12 ppm. CC had dropped to 1.5. For whatever reason, as I mentioned earlier, CYA had dropped to around 20. So, at 1530 I added one 8 oz Tri-chlor tab. At 1830 the puck hadn't been able to keep up with FC loss and it dropped to 10.5, so I added 27oz of liquid chlorine, CC still 1.5. By 1900 we were stable with an FC of 13.5 and a CC of 1.5

Ive used two more tabs since then to help raise my CYA back to 35 or so and to keep my FC at SLAM level. My wife added liquid chlorine Monday and Tuesday to keep the FC between 12-15. CC's been up and down, not sure why that would be. Jumping between 1.0 yesterday and up to 2.5 tonight. I think I just need to take better care when I test for CC's.

All and all, I'm feeling Ok. The numbers seem to be leveling out. At the very least, the water is crystal clear and there's nothing visible in the pool? I'll stay the course and see what developes over the next week or so. I'll keep the numbers where they are and try a OCLT Wednesday evening.

I think while I managed the SLAM, I got a little frazzled trying to think of something else to do and not really understanding why it was taking so long.

I have to tell everyone, that when responses come to a post of mine and suggestions are given, it gives me something to do besides just wait. Suggestions were made that I never would have considered. I can implement the suggestion and then I can research the suggestion to better understand why the suggestion was made inthe first place. They also help me refine my maintenance techniques as well. I think the suggestions just helped me cope. I wasn't just wringing my hands. Like in the movies when a birth is about to happen and everyone is nervous. The doctor tells the most nervous person in the room to go boil some water. It's going to take a while and he may not even use it, but at least they have something to do but pace and worry. I learn with every response to my posts. I think we all benefit from answers to our posts. Not bad for a first time pool owner at the ripe old age of 59...

TFP Members and Experts, keep up the good work and keep those suggestions coming our way. I'll post again in a day or two and let you know how were progressing.

Thanks again..

Last edited:
Glad to hear things appear to be leveling.

And yes I agree those suggestions are helpful, even when they don't directly impact the situation you are in ~ still helps with the learning process and helps others who search for threads addressing the issue they are looking for.

I'm like you ~ I like to be learning and I have a side issue of having to be in motion, I don't do well just sitting and waiting. So I handle the pool but have other yard business going on as well ~ helps keep me sane.

Enjoy the day!

Just an update since Sunday the 12th....
CYA holding at a firm 35 using Tri-chlor tabs. Done with those for now.
We've kept FC between 15 and 20 since then.
CC still holding between 1.2 and 1.6. That is a bit perplexing.
With my CC reading so high, haven't seen the need to preform an OCLT
Water is not crystal clear, but it's not cloudy either.
Appears whatever it is, it's on its last leg.
Haven't read on the forum anyone with clear water (no visible green color) taking so long on a SLAM.
But I refuse to panic....
We're going to hold steady at 15 to 20.
We're going to keep the 1/2 HP pump and 12" sand filter running 24/7 (Intex pump has been on on-stop since May 13th when I initially started the SLAM sequence. You go little Intex.)
We've brought FC numbers down to normal twice since May 13th, to balance other chemicals.
We're going to continue to test the water first thing in the morning, I leave for work about 4:15, and again when I get home around 5:30. This is when the daily brushing and backwashing if necessary, will take place as well.
In between 4:15 and 5:30,my bride is adding liquid chlorine every couple hours in measured doses to keep the FC steady.
I'll test again when darkness settles on my little pool and put it to bed with FC at 15 to 20, and start again the next day.
Im sure I'm not far off, really I can't be if I understand the basic chemistry and philosophy of the TFP/BBB method.
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. I have implemented each and every one of them.

Got home tonight. My wife did an excellent job of keeping FC between 16 and 20 today. Just decided to check for algae once again. Lo and behold, under the skimmer cap I found this again.20160620_182326.jpg20160620_182440.jpg
I cannot believe what I am seeing. Schmutz under the skimmer lid again. Just cleared that away maybe 2 weeks ago. Is it common for algae to collect there? It appears I'll have to make that part of my weekly cleaning routine. Has anybody else had recurring algae in this location? Maybe I'll buy a second cover and rotate them out every couple days. For now, a good scrubbing, a good soaking in 12% liquid chlorine and quite possibly a trip through a dishwasher cycle later tonight. But for now, no skimmer. Holy cow. There's so many small things to think about. But I am not giving up..

Dang!

Surely someone here will be able to come up with some type of resolve to that issue.

Keep on keeping on :)

And seriously as discouraging as it may be, just imagine what a train-wreck it could be if you weren't using the methods here.

I used dawn soap and bleach on a sponge, it takes 30 seconds to hit it and I also get a black line of dirt/scum on the skimmer... hit it once or twice a week and you should be good :)

Still at it. I have purchased a second floating piece for my Intex skimmer set up. Now I swap it out once a week and give the dirty one a good srubbing. I can't seem to get the numbers to come around, though. I refuse to give up. Some of it I'm sure is my testing methods because I can get different results using 5ml or 10ml one after the other.
Numbers at 2200 last night with 5ml sample:
FC 20
CC 1.5
This morning at 0530 with 5ml sample: (edit: 10ml sample)
FC 19.5
CC 2.0
Same time with 10ml sample: (edit: 25ml sample)
FC 18
CC 1.0
(I did the 25ml sample twice to make sure. Think I'll stick with the 25ml testing sample from now on.)

I let the FC drop to 9 yesterday morning so I could adjust my PH back down to about 7.2. My PH has always climbed. I've never had to raise it. CYA is a consistent 40, and I've kept my FC at 16 - 20 since June 20th, except for yesterday to adjust PH.

In in the next 4 weeks or so I'll by putting in a concrete slab to set the pool on, so I will be starting anew with fresh city water. Just a bit baffled that I can't end the slam......Brushing everyday. (Alone time with the pool trying to talk the numbers down. LOL) My little 1/2 hp Intex pump is working 24/7, water is clear, FC/CYA numbers let me comfortably make use of the revitalizing benefits of pool ownership. The only down side is to keep things steady, I'm using about about 3/4 gallon of liquid chlorine per day. I keep reading the forum, learning more and more. I'm trying to do better with my testing. I'm convinced the TFP method is the way to go. I must be missing something. Ill find it. All in all, I'm a happy camper......puzzled but happy

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the 5ml test option is not exact, its close, like you see...

5ml close (within 2 FC up or down) used when low on reagents and need an approximate FC level
10 ml Better, not exact.. I use this one all the time.. 1 FC up or down
25ml exact, I have never used it, .2 results, so .4 up or down

:)

Can I ask the forum.....how unusual is it to have had to keep FC at SLAM levels for nearly three months? I've let the numbers go to normal twice for a day to balance the other numbers, then right back up. Basically, I've been at SLAM levels the entire time. Even raised FC to mustard algae levels for a time.
Any ideas??

That is pretty unusual. I'd be interested to see an OCLT with 10ml or 25ml both times. Are you back washing when pressure rises 20-25%? How long has the filter been in service?

I'll try an OCLT tonight. My earlier post was incorrect. I've been testing 10ml and 25ml, not 5ml and 10ml. I prefer the
25ml test even though I use more Regeant. I'll run the 25ml test tonight and again before the sun comes up tomorrow. Backwashing when the pressure increases by 20-25%. Brushing daily. Pumps been running 24/7 since April. Last month I deep cleaned the sand filter. Actually, I had difficulty separating the 6-way valve from the down tube and ended up with sand under the laterals. I ended up replacing the sand to get the filter back together. Ill post the numbers after tomorrow mornings test...

thanks forthe input....

Running late this morning so I missed the opportunity to complete my OCT this morning. I'll set up for tonight. Question: FC level for my CYA of 40 is 16. Any harm with running that up to Mustard Algea of 28-30 overnight and hitting 16 during the day? Thought I'd try something unique for my circumstance...

Late to the party, but after just reading page 3 I wonder if it is possible something is continuously being added to the water. I'm just brain-storming:
Kids peeing, dogs peeing, fertilizer, grass clippings. Another thought, is there anything that has been added to the pool that could register as CC but isn't actually?

You're not late, you're right on time....Just my bride and myself in the pool most of the time. Maybe once a month adults with young kids. Our two small dogs weekly, for just a few minutes. Haven't fertilized. Brown grass is the new green, dont you know. That's the current moto for our little socal burg. Skimmer takes care of what I may blow into the pool after yardwork. Not much has a chance to sink. TFP believer. Nothing added to my water but liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, stabilizer and the occasion floater loaded with tri-chlor tabs while we're on vacation. I appreciate the input. It will all come in handy at some point in my pool care regimen.
I did notice something the other day floating in the skimmer opening. Looks like a layer of something oily. The reflection looks like a rainbow in the right light and at the right angle. Must be some type of oily substance, not really sure what it could be. It also collects under the skimmer float (See earlier pics) along with a little algea.
Thanks for taking the time. We appreciate the input..

Tested about 6:00 pm last night with a 10ml sample. FC was at 16. Got in and brushed really well. Bottom feels clean. No dust to speak of off the floor while brushing. Water's clear, but flat out dull, not sparkly like it should be. After brushing I added a bit of 12% to maintain an FC of 16.
Ran my FC to 26 last night at about 9:30 pm using a 10ml sample. Tested this morning around 6:00 am, twice with a 10ml sample, FC was at 22.5. I'll continue the same cycle for a week or so and go from there.
The only thing in the pool is a new Confer 7200 ladder for big boys. The legs are full of water but not open to the pool. Added about 6oz of Liquid Chlorine to each side just in case. Stair steps are open to the pool by small holes. Popped them off. Nothing alive there that I could see. The ladder has only been in a couple weeks and my problem started way before that. Cleaning and swapping the Intex floating skimmer cover every 3 days or so. Fighting on.....

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.