Opening up neglected pool... debating bromine vs chlorine

Nasa

May 26, 2016
Strongsville OH
Hey everyone! I found the forum today while trying to figure out the best process for opening my pool. I bought a house in November, and the pool had a ragged torn winter cover over it, no idea how long it has been closed but my guess is around 2 years. It is a 24' round x 4' deep above ground with a vinyl liner, and the water is very dark green with seaweed-like stalks of algae floating in it :(

I'm going to take the cover off shortly and start skimming the solid particles out, but was not sure on the next step... My girlfriend wants to use bromine instead of chlorine because of the smell and skin irritation that chlorine causes, I'm just looking for opinions from some professionals. Is it worth using bromine and can I? It is in a sunny location and I live in Ohio. The information I've found says bromine is near impossible to keep at the proper level because of sun degradation, or is very expensive because of the amount necessary, and I would need to get a special automatic feeder, is that all correct? Also it worries me to switch to bromine, not be able to maintain the levels, and then have to drain completely to switch back.

I'm just torn over what to do! My parents had a chlorine pool growing up, and I lifeguarded for several years, so opening and maintaining a chlorine pool is what I am used to.

Welcome to TFP :)

Most people think they are allergic or because of the smell, that is because most pools are not taken care of, the "chlorine smell" is almost always CC, combined chlorine, that people smell in a pool.. if you use a great test kit and take care of your pool daily it will not smell and she will have no issues...

Most Bromine is used for spa's because it is a little more expensive but it could be done How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

You can test if she is allergic :)

run a bath at 85 degrees about 50 gallons
pour 1 tablespoon regular bleach in
that is about 1.5 ppm chlorine

there should be very little smell (like washing clothes) and no skin issues

I always recommend the TF100 testkit and love mine.. check the box next to the XL option since you have a nice green pool and the speedstir is just awesome and everyone loves it, but you don't have to get it..
TFTestkits.net

with the pump on put 1 gallon regular bleach in the water and brush daily until you get your test kit :)
once you recieve it post up your numbers so we can see where to go

I hope this helps :)

Bromine will be a much, much more expensive and difficult to maintain option than chlorine. There are very few bromine pools around for this very reason. And, as for the smell, bromine and combined bromamines (the bromine analog of combined chloramines) are often much more offensive to the nose than chlorine related disinfection by-products. What your girlfriend has experienced in the past are swimming pools that were improperly maintained. Pools maintained by the methods we teach are cheap and easy to manage AND they never smell.

Thanks cowboycasey and JoyfulNoise, we decided to stick with chlorine. The water wasn't as bad as I thought, most of the algae on the bottom is easily moved around just from the hose pressure and I can SEE the bottom details in the liner! Going to add bleach and order a test kit tonight, along with much needed cleaning supplies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.