Waterline ring...

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hi All,

We had our 25 year old FG pool repainted in March and there's already a heavy black ring at the waterline. I'm the only swimmer and have been in maybe a dozen times since early May. I found that it comes off pretty easily with Lava bar soap in a plastic scrub pad, but what would be causing this? Water balance is perfect. We live in a heavy (air) pollution area, could that be the cause? Is there anything I can add to the water to prevent it? Seems like it worsens after a rain...

Russ

Hi Russ. Sounds like a scum line. Don't worry, it's not a reflection of you as the main swimmer. :) I get it from time to time even with no swimming - usually against the same corner in my pool. The water just collects oils and bacteria that collects in some areas and is sort of gummy in texture. You did right to clean the area. You might also see it in your skimmer at times. There are some products on the market (i.e. Scum ball) that have been known to help with that issue. Just one of those things we see from time to time.

I've had one of these in the pool now for about 10 days and no more ring! This after a couple really heavy rains, heavy enough to require pumping water out a twice. So far, the scumball still looks and feels "normal", as in no obvious buildup of crud...

Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.