Algae take over - need help

May 26, 2016
Huntsville TX
Hey guys, I am new poster, semi new to having a pool.... last summer was our first year and it was an uphill battle from the very beginning. I read your forums / information a lot but this is my first time posting. We are trying to get the pool ready for summer and it is seeming overwhelming. I have read the SLAM method but would like some insight as to when I should do what. Here are my test results as of this afternoon:FC - 0CC - 0pH - 6.4TA - 40CH - 100CYA - 0Obviously all need to be addressed but in what order? PH first or CYA first? We did not close the pool properly and struggled to have it clear at the end of last summer. We haven't done anything to the pool except clean out the leaves that we could. The water is green, with very little visibility and I'm embarrassed to say there are tons of TADPOLES.Please help, thank you so much for your wisdom and knowledge!!!

1) Ditch the AquaChek7 "Guess-Strips" and order the TF-100 from either Pool Supply World or TFTestkits.
Pool Supplies, Spa Supplies and Parts or TFTestkits.net It runs $70ish but will save you TONS of money getting that swamp cleared up.

2) Drain at least half the water (never all the way, leave a foot or two in at all times to stabilize the liner) and refill.

3) While waiting for the proper test kit to arrive, keep removing any solid debris in the pool and add 1/2 gallon of liquid bleach (H.E.B. type works) daily just to hold the green at bay a bit till you can really start a SLAM process. If you order from TFTestkit it ships fast from NC.

4) Start reading Pool School <link at top> and read it again and again. Bring back questions.

Welcome! Glad to have you here. You'll love your pool if you follow our steps and stay OUT of the pool store. They just will sell you and cause you more problems.

YippeeSkippy - I'm just curious why you are having the OP drain half the water? I quoted and re-formatted their test results below, I think you may have read that CYA was 100 instead of CH.

FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 6.4
TA - 40
CH - 100
CYA - 0

It looks like first priority is to increase pH to 7.2, then add 10 FC (using bleach/liquid chlorine) and retest after 10 minutes to see if the FC holds.

Edited to add the following:
If more than 50% of FC remains after 10 minutes, you can add enough CYA to get to 30 and proceed with SLAMing your pool. If less than 50% FC remains after 10 minutes, you likely have ammonia, do not add CYA. Post back here and we will give you more instructions.

Here are a few links to get you started.
Pool School - PoolMath
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Kelly, aeh0603 is correct. That pH needs to be addressed STAT.

Use the PoolMath calculator to determine what to add. It may take repeated doses of washing soda (soda ash) or Borax depending on your TA.

That low pH can damage the vinyl liner and make it brittle. Make this a priority, 'k?

Guys, you all are so helpful! Its so overwhelming to try and figure all of this out!! We are in Huntsville TX and have had crazy amounts of rain the past 2 days so i haven't been able to do anything with the pool. We FINALLY have sunshine so I am going to address the PH right now!

Hey guys, the PH is back in balance and good to go, it held through the night as well. I was slowly adding (sock in the skimmer) stabilizer to get the CYA up......SORRY i just realized you said NOT to do that if the FC doesn't hold. I am going to take the sock OUT, I didn't add much! Yesterday I was confused and thought the TC moving up and holding 50% was what i was after, this AM i re-read this thread and saw that it was the FC.

The TC held 50% after 10 minutes and even over night but the FC didn't move AT ALL after adding 2 jugs of concentrated 7.89% bleach to the pool (recommended by pool math). Sooooo I'm guessing we have ammonia......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright guys, I'm so excited to report that thanks to other post on this site I found how to attack ammonia! I have been able to maintain a 10 FC for an hour! Will continue to check this every hour and make sure it stays high! The pool has gone from a dark green to a cloudy light greenish color!!! I'm going to add some DE to sand filter...do I need to vacuum pool out or continue to let chemicals do their job?

Also when do I address the CYA?

If you're following SLAM, I wouldn't add DE just yet. Keep brushing until you have clear water, less that .5 cc and pass OCLT. Keep water at shock level until all three criteria are met. Keep brushing ! Adding DE should be last step in the process.

Great job beating the ammonia! Also, I don't remember if anyone had told you yet, but the pH test is not valid when FC is higher than 10 (it reads falsly high). Once you get CYA added, your SLAM level FC will increase so no need to test pH :) Keep up the good work, you'll be enjoying your pool in no time!

Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a fabulous Memorial Day, hopefully in clean sparkly pools ;).

OK I'm not sure whats going on, I have maintained the chlorine at 10 or higher and we made zero progress yesterday, our pool is still cloudy greenish blue. Sunday night the chlorine dropped from 20 to 5. I immediately brought it up to 10 and maintained that all day. We tried to vacuum the pool, but our vacuum is honestly horrible and gets little to no suction so we tried to get all debris up from the floor of the pool with brush and net. We have a brand new sand pump on the pool and the intake and return pressure is really weak, I'm not sure if that is standard for that type of pump or not.

I'm not sure what to do next, advice appreciated and needed!

Ggggggggrrrrrrr - so frustrated, so for complete disclosure, not sure how much each factor affects the other.... Sunday night the intake was hardly suctioning, we backwashed it after only 48 hours of running, albeit in a very dirty pool. Last night same thing, I backwashed, rinsed, and turned the filter setting back on. I just went out there to double check it and I never opened the intake line back up so the pump ran all night with no water flowing in, I hope it doesn't mess up our brand new pump.

Don't know how much affect that has had on our pool.

:brickwall: That stinks. Well, if it's still able to turn-on that's a start. That means it didn't seize-up on you. The next question would be warping from the heat and if it caused any leaks. Are you able to start it again? Does it prime and hold water okay?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.