Hayward Sand Filter - Brand new, newbie installing - drain cap issues

May 26, 2016
Mahomet, IL
Was having low flow issues and consulted guy at local pool store (bought the unit online, but store is still very helpful). Suggested that I might have an airlock somewhere in the system, one thing I could try was to remove the drain cap (the one at the bottom of the filter that the manual said was used for draining for winterizing). Water is flowing out of it, so any airlock I might have had it probably gone, but I CANNOT get the cap back on. It is threaded, but only one side of the threads seem to be "catching." Am I just going to have to wait for the filter to drain completely before I can put the cap back on (system is plugged so filter is currently draining).

Please tell me I didn't ruin this on day 1. I was at least hoping to make it through the first week. =D

Okay here's an update. You're right - it *did* screw back on. But the white plug that was behind the cap had protruded a bit from the opening. It had come out in such a way that it looked like it was supposed to be sticking out like that, but I used a mallet to softly tap it back in and that allowed the cap to be screwed on exactly as you think it should.

Thank you for your reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.