40x20 Rectangle Skimmer / Return Locations

Mar 31, 2016
Long Island, NY
We're all set with our 40x20 rectangle, but I'm having a difficult time determining the optimal location for the skimmers and returns. Our PB is presenting multiple options for us, but he's being noncommittal about the best option, so I drew a picture for all the gurus to point me in the right direction. It's not drawn to scale, but it's a basic 40x20 rectangle with corner steps and a bench tied into the steps. Deep end with a couple of deep returns is on the opposite side from the steps/bench. Let me know which option provides the best circulation. Thanks!

IMG_20160526_152005516.jpg

Option 1 or 3 are viable. 2 I don't believe is. Most returns can only be angled maybe 30 degrees to the side reliably I don't see you able to actually get those flow directions from those return locations.

1 - Will work fairly well if the wind isn't too strong or from the North (picture-wise). If the wind is strong, or from the south, you won't get much skimming in any of the skimmers.

3 - I like this one the best, you'll likely be able to get counter-clockwise rotation of surface water and skimming decent even if the wind is from any direction. The return that's by the bench would be nice if someone wants a back massage... sort of. Otherwise, do you have a deep end opposite from the steps end? A return on that end of the pool aimed downward to the deepest part of the pool would help deep water circulation while the other two handle skimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.