Just purchased first pool and new to it all.

May 13, 2009
We took a big leap and purchased our first pool this weekend.

It is an above ground sharkline 24' oceanic XL pool.

The installer will be here next week to setup the pool and then we can get started.
As part of our pool package it came with a whole bunch of chemicals called "Simple Blue".

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these chemicals and should I start out the pool with them or go the BBB route from the jump. I have a large amount of the "Simple Blue". The dealer said it should last me at least a couple of seasons? Although I don't know alot about pools or water chemistry I have been reading everything I can on the internet and stumbled across this board.

I think I've got an ok setup on the pump system. It has a two speed 1.5hp pump(sparco I think) with a large 150 catridge filter(not sure the brand).

So does anyone have any advice/suggestions for a new pool owner with no experience? I've already been through the "Pool School" on this site and starting to learn the chemistry side of it.

Thanks for any advice and Ill be posting pics as the build progresses.

-fish

Welcome to the forum! :wave: You're gonna love your pool, IF you stick with BBB. :mrgreen:

You do NOT want to use that product. It is a copper based product and will lead you down a path you don't want to take, trust me, I learned the hard way.

Go back to Pool School, and click on Further Reading all the way at the bottom. Then read the article titled "Alternative Sanitizers and Chemical Free Pools - The Truth".

We have more references if that doesn't convince you. :wink:

Ask the pool dealer if they will give you a store credit for the chems instead. Use it on CYA and liquid chlorine.

I myself have a 2 speed and same size cart. :goodjob: Good combo, I run my filter on low 24/7.

Simple Blue adds copper to the water. I strongly suggest you completely avoid using it. Copper can turn blond hair green and cause unsightly stains. Even when it is working it doesn't help very much, much better to avoid it entirely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.