PhosFree appearance/consistency

Wasben

Mar 30, 2016
Katy, TX
Have they changed the formulation of Phosfree phosphate remover? When I used it last year, I recall that it was fairly thick and dense looking - sort of like heavy cream. This year, I bought some more and found it to be much thinner and watery, sort of like milk diluted - 5 parts water to one part milk. It did cause my cartridge filter delta P to jump up, but the phosphates are still high. I went to the manufacturers website and asked the question, but they did not respond. So, maybe they changed the formula or I might have gotten a bad bottle.

HISTORY - I have been fighting an algae problem in my pool for quite some time. It has had high phosphate for awhile and last year I treated it without success and then drained over half to dilute it with fresh water. Still no luck so I tested the fresh tap water and even that looks like more than 1000 ppb phosphate. So I decided to retreat with Phosfree. I have added 1-1/5 liters 3 times over the past month or so and the level is still over 1000 ppb.

thanks,

Concur that Phosfree is probably complete unnecessary. I got roped into buying some by Leslie's pool last year to help prevent my aglae problem from coming back after we "fixed" the problem. Of course, the algae was never really eradicated and it kept coming back (because our FC was low all summer, because Leslie's pool doesn't know the interaction between FC and CYA). Lowering the phosphates (got them really, really low, according to Leslie's) neither helped fix the algae problem or prevent it from coming back.

That said, if you're using Leslie's products, I do know for a fact that they did change their product. I don't remember what it was called before, but it's now called "Pool Perfect + Phosfree" and they want you to dump a couple cap-fulls into your water every week. Should've known something labeled "pool perfect" was just an unnecessary marketing ploy to get more of my money. So to answer your question, if it's a Leslie's product, yes it probably just changed. To add to your question, I can speak from experience that when poster's here tell you it's unnecessary, they're onto something.

If you wish to perform nutrient removal in your pool (it's optional), I would suggest you go with a commercial grade phosphate remover. Halosource SeaKlear Commercial Strength phosphate remover or Orenda PR-10000 are full strength lanthanum chloride based PRs with no clarifiers in them. Depending on what filter type you have, you may not need a clarifier (typically DE and cartridge filters don't need the extra clarifier). 1 quart of the SeaKlear product removes 9000ppb PO4 in 10,000 gallons of water while the same amount of Orenda PR-10000 removes 10,000ppb PO4.

If you truly want to reduce phosphates then you need to have a reliable test. Pool stores are so often wrong that their numbers are suspect. If you have your own phosphate test kit, that would work a lot better in knowing if it is feasible to lower your phosphate levels. Since your source water has a lot of phosphates in it, it may not be cost effective to reduce phosphates.

If you wish to perform nutrient removal in your pool (it's optional), I would suggest you go with a commercial grade phosphate remover. Halosource SeaKlear Commercial Strength phosphate remover or Orenda PR-10000 are full strength lanthanum chloride based PRs with no clarifiers in them. Depending on what filter type you have, you may not need a clarifier (typically DE and cartridge filters don't need the extra clarifier). 1 quart of the SeaKlear product removes 9000ppb PO4 in 10,000 gallons of water while the same amount of Orenda PR-10000 removes 10,000ppb PO4.

If you truly want to reduce phosphates then you need to have a reliable test. Pool stores are so often wrong that their numbers are suspect. If you have your own phosphate test kit, that would work a lot better in knowing if it is feasible to lower your phosphate levels. Since your source water has a lot of phosphates in it, it may not be cost effective to reduce phosphates.

I'm slowly getting things straightened out, but I'll try one of these if my problems persist. I'm thinking that I got a diluted batch of Phosfree, but your two recommendations look like a better deal than Phosfree if/when I want to reduce the phosphates.

--thanks--

I'm slowly getting things straightened out, but I'll try one of these if my problems persist. I'm thinking that I got a diluted batch of Phosfree, but your two recommendations look like a better deal than Phosfree if/when I want to reduce the phosphates.

--thanks--

I have some 2 year old Phosfree that I bought before I started TFP method. It is thin, , milky like you describe. I did have some Pool Perfect + Phosfree a few years ago and it was thicker with a brownish milky look.

With TFP method you do not have to worry about the phosphates. I am using the Phosfree a little at a time just so I don't have to throw it down the drain (like the money I spent on it)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.