Progress

Flame

May 8, 2016
Marysville, WA.
Opening the pool this year has been an experience for sure. I have issues I have never had in the 10 years we have had the pool. I took the cover off about 2 weeks ago and was promptly greeted with green water :( . So, assuming muck in the "swamp" vacuumed the bottom (broke the skimmer basket in the process-which I learned when I finished vacuuming), brushed sides and bottom then scooped out what I could see. I poured in an entire 128oz jug of 10% bleach, prayed to the pool goddess, put the new skimmer basket in and let the filter run all day and night. Morning comes and I can see the bottom of the pool through the mostly clear water :D 1st new issue overcome. Backwashed the muck out and moved on.

2nd new issue; worms! Seriously...:puker:. Why did these denizens of the underworld not die with the bleach!? Scooped all of them out with the net, vacuumed and brushed the pool again. Backwashed again because the worms made my skin crawl and I just had to! Added water and kept filter running. 2nd issue overcome.

Right after this my TF100 kit arrived :party:

pH: 6.8
FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
CH: dnt
TA: dnt
CYA: dnt

Added borax and bleach to start water balance.

Currently this is where I stand:

pH: 7.5
FC: 2
CC: 1
TC: 3
CH: 75
TA: 170 :confused:
CYA: 0

I know the FC is low but I don't know if I should tackle that or deal with the TA level first. I didn't add anything and I have never had a level that high. Suggestions and/or ideas?

Since I actually have a FC level now, should I get the CYA up first, otherwise how do I know the FC shock level?

Pool Math will tell you the shock level based on your current CYA. I would recommend getting it up to about 30 and start your SLAM during/after that. Start with CYA in calc as 0, then at 30 once you have the CYA dissolved into the pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.