Trying to get my pool water straight

daniym

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
West Point, VA
Opened the pool early, didn't keep up with it very well, ran into some problems, and we've been shocking to clear that. However, pH has crept up during this process. So, added the muriatic acid to lower pH tonight, 15 minutes ago. How soon can I add bleach to bring back up to shock level? Also need to add CYA to get that level up---when can I add that with these other things going on?

Thanks!!!!

Anytime the FC level is above 10, ignore PH readings over 7.8 because it will read temporarily false-high. So one should never adjust the PH if the FC is above 10 - just an FYI.

You can add bleach after 1 hour of circulation from adding acid. Remember to keep your pump running 24/7 while shocking to clear algae.

You can add the CYA anytime, put some in a sock and hang it near the return. Remember not to test the CYA for 5-6 days.

FC was back to 1 when we tested pH. We have been running the pump 24/7. More out of habit (from necessity and still not working when on Baqua-junk) than anything, but we have been keeping it running.

So it's best to add CYA in the sock method, instead of pouring into the return skimmer? I know we need to get the level up, because full sun on the pool eats up our chlorine during the days.

As always, thanks for the replies and guidance.

Because you have algae, and you will likely need to backwash, I recommend the sock method.

If you have to backwash after adding CYA to the filter, you will lose most of it. So the sock should work better for you. If you weren't having algae issues and no need to backwash right now, then yes, you could put it in the skimmer (leaving the pump running for 24-48 hours while it dissolves.)

Hope this make sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.