Lots of algae and high CYA

CGS

Sep 15, 2008
I have a lot of algae but my CYA is very high. As in the 130 range. Is it possible to maintain this pool as is. I don't mind doing and little drain here and there to bring the level down, but to drain half the pool right now would be impracticable right now. Am I fighting a loosing battle here?

I really need help. I've kept my chlorine level high over the last week and ran the pump 24/4 but I'm still in the same boat. I'm going to load up with bleach tonight and I will try to get accurate test readings before I shock the pool.

I know this isn't a ton of information but I was really curious for input on my cya. I'll post my test info once I have it.

Am I fighting a loosing battle here?
Sorry to bear bad news but the answer is. "Pretty much".

140 is off the charts but I think you would have to maintain FC at least around 12+ constantly over the Summer. Additionally, 140 is a WAG since tests normally don't go over 100 so you might be higher.

To Shock you pool may well take 40+ppm.

You really have no choice but to start draining off some of that CYA if you want an algae-free pool.

OK. Things may not be quite so grim.

Using my TF-100 kit I've got the following:

FC 2.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5-7.6
T/A 80
CYA 70-80
Water Temp 85

When the sun goes down and the gnats subside, I'm going to try and raise the chlorine to shock level.

Looks like I need to get FC up to the 28-31ppm range.

3 months between cya testing, backwashing, rinsing, lowering pool level due to rain and an accidental partial drain when I left the waste on for too long with the skimmer closed. The last one probably changed about 5-10% of the water alone, WAG of course.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Oh, I see, the 130 was a few months old? Well, 70-80 is certainly alot easier to manage with! :goodjob: It will come down over time with backwashing your sandfilter. :wink: Your other numbers look great!

Get to shocking! :whip:

Bleach calc says 11 gallons to raise 28ppm? Is that correct?

Hmmm...Pool Calc gives a lower shock level for CYA of 70, it says 20. You can try it with just 20 and give it a go- 9 small jugs of 6% - you didn't say what concentration you have or how big the jugs are? Have you bleach or 12% on hand?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CGS said:
I have (6) 1.3 Gal jugs of 6% bleach. I also have some powdered shock that the previous owner left that I could use in a pinch although I would like to try and avoid it.

Go ahead and add all 6 jugs....that should put you just above 20. Get some more tomorrow.

What is the powder? If it's Dichlor don't use it, if it's MPS don't use it, if it's cal-hypo, you need to test for CH first to tell us how high it is.

CGS,

Don't be offended, but it sounds like you are "shooting from the hip" with your approach to your pool.

There is little in the current numbers you just posted to indicate the presence of a lot of algae. Tell us what your water looks like. How old are the test results you just posted? How have you been chlorinating? How long has the algae been present in your pool? Tell us how your water looks right now.

Sorry to be a PITA but there is a very incomplete picture of your conditions and some more info will really help us get you on the right path.

Please remember that shocking your pool is a process that will take days. You cannot clear your pool with one dose of chlorine. There is an article in Pool School on how to shock.....that'll give you a good idea of what you're about to do and remind you to stock up on chlorine......lots more than you think.

The present numbers are about 1 hour or so old.

The algae has been an ongoing thing that really got out of hand a little over a week ago. The bottom drain was not fully opened and I think that contributed to the algae breakout due to lack of filtration. In addition I wasn't keeping my chlorine level high enough. I've been using liquid bleach to add chlorine but I've been slacking on my regular testing. The floor of the pool now has a lot of brown/yellow "stuff" on it. Once it is swept or brushed the pool becomes cloudy green. I do realize that shocking the pool will be a process and I will have to get more bleach.

duraleigh said:
CGS,

Don't be offended, but it sounds like you are "shooting from the hip" with your approach to your pool.

There is little in the current numbers you just posted to indicate the presence of a lot of algae. Tell us what your water looks like. How old are the test results you just posted? How have you been chlorinating? How long has the algae been present in your pool? Tell us how your water looks right now.

Sorry to be a PITA but there is a very incomplete picture of your conditions and some more info will really help us get you on the right path.

Please remember that shocking your pool is a process that will take days. You cannot clear your pool with one dose of chlorine. There is an article in Pool School on how to shock.....that'll give you a good idea of what you're about to do and remind you to stock up on chlorine......lots more than you think.

CGS said:
I have a lot of algae
:shock: :scratch:

Thanks! Now I have a much better understanding. It sounds like you have killed a lot of algae and I think your clearing process will go quickly. I would suggest you start to vacuum the stuff off the floor (I'm almost sure that's dead algae) and out of your pool. If you do it on "filter", you'll need to backwash pretty soon thereafter.

Bring your FC up to shock level and hold it there by constantly testing and re-adding chlorine. Vacuuming all the dead junk off the floor will be very helpful. You'll have to go slow but it will really speed up your process.

Based on your conditions, I'll bet you'll see a dramatic improvement in the first 24-48 hours if you'll get the FC up and keep it up.

Eh..... One extra to add to the list of problems.

I can't find anything that will allow me to have a good seal at the skimmer so that I can use my vacuum. It has a second lip that the plate would have to mount to and none of the local stores carry the right plate.

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you remove the basket, will the end of the vac hose fit snug in the opening? Then no plate needed?

Yes. But to me it seems liked it was getting too much suction and would grab the floor very snugly. I was getting concerned that it could damage the liner even though the suction head is made for vinyl liners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.