Newbie post - looking for advice and experience

I've been looking into getting an above ground pool, but there is tons of options and things to think about. I've searched the forums for previous similar posts, but there isn't much as its either very old information, or a little more specific that I'm asking. If i've missed anything, apologies and please point me in the right direction.

The requirements are:
- Oval shaped
- Large
- Easy to maintain
- Large (Probably 30x15)

I have been looking at the saltwater 8000 or something from Doughboy, but after reading up, I'm not sure if saltwater is the way to go. I'm also totally confused about what filters, pumps, etc. In addition, I'm not totally confused about manufacturers of pool and whats good and whats not.

Any advice on setup for a beginner would be helpful. There is so much info online that I'm totally confused and would really appreciate any personal recommendations of setups.

I have also heard conflicting information about above ground pools and allowing dogs in them. We have two elderly dobermans and we'd like to let them in the pool (accompanied) for stress free exercise. I'm not sure if this is such a good idea with the liner though.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Well, if I were you I would probably get a large pool that is oval and large. :-D

Doughboy makes a good pool, lots of people here with them.

I would get a 1hp 2speed pump and a big sand filter to go with it. And every pool I ever get will always be saltwater. Too easy to consider anything else IMO.

I think you will be fine letting your dogs in the pool. They can't reach the bottom anyway can they?

Thanks PoolDV, thats good to hear some definitive suggestions. I've actually been looking at everybody signatures with their equipment to see whats most common.

Robbie, well actually, most of the local dealers I've spoken to seem to be swaying me away from them for various reasons. Perhaps they make less money on these systems? Another reason why I appreciate honest feedback on here. It seems to be a bit like the Android/iPhone battle.....iPhone users are loyal to iPhones and android users and loyal to Android.

Last edited:
As someone who has owned an above ground pool I'll give my .02. I wouldn't worry about the dogs and the liner too much. Make sure they know where the stairs are and they would have no need to try to climb out at any random point (plus you'll be with them anyway). Some type of marker may help with this. I had the weeding cake steps. They looked nice but are not good compared to the in pool type ladder imo. The reason being is that you must weight them down (can't anchor to the railing) and taking them in and out for the season is a pain.

For setup, make sure a laser level is used. Ground that looks flat can be off of level considerably. Don't do it on a windy day :)

Welcome to TFP :)

Dogs can be a problem if they go for the side or panic in the pool and have no way out and there is really no easy way for them to get out of an above ground pool.. with that said we have many people with dog's in the pool and they love it, so it just depends on your dogs and how you teach them to use the pool

Doughboy's are great pools, top of the line, but as you have seen your paying for a better quality pool..

Saltwater, I will not have a pool without it :) there are many posts about this, some love them, some do not... it makes life easy

I hope this helps :)

Welcome! As far as using salt water generator I would suggest it, they make life a lot easier maintaining the pool. We bring our dogs in the pool and we have an Intex that is 40" deep. Our mastiff is big enough she can touch the bottom when we hold her for a rest. We have not had any problems with punctures of the liner.

As far as setup just make sure the ground is perfectly level and dig down to solid ground. If you have to build it up use some sort of road base or DG and compact in 2-3" levels. Seting up the permenent above ground pool I have no experience with yet but sure someone else should be able to give you some better info on that. Good luck and there is all sorts of help on this site from construction to maintaining your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.