When to replace liner?

Knarf

Apr 18, 2007
Orland Park, Il
I have an ABG that is going into season #10 and it has the original liner. I really don't have any issues (yet) but I have patched a few minor holes in the last few years with complete success (just using the vinyl patches). So my question- should I just replace the liner because of the age and as preventative maintenance or do you think I should just keep the original liner until issues arise that dictate a replacement? Just wasn't sure if I'm pushing my luck or what the average life of an ABG liner is?

Thanks in advance. Also if there's anyone that has a local recommendation for someone to replace a liner in the Chicago area (south suburbs) that would also be appreciated.

Thanks

I think most just use a liner until it dies or they are tired of looking at it and get a new one, it really depends on how good you take care of it, sounds like you are taking good care of yours :)

Hello Knarf - I think Cowboy Casey is right that much depends on the initial quality (i.e. thickness) of the liner and also how well it has been taken care of. You might be pushing it at 10 years, but it could also last another 5+, so can't say with much certainty if you are getting near the end of its useful life.

I am in your general area (in Darien) and replaced mine last year so will share my experience. I had re-patched my liner in one spot (it was patched when I bought the home), but sometime during the closed season (winter 2014/spring 2015) I noticed the water level had dropped to right around that patch. Ok, time for another re-patch, freezing temps, ice whatever must have taken its toll. When I tore off the remains of the old patch it ripped a good size section of the liner as well. Not un-patchable, but pretty big. I also noticed it had felt pretty brittle in some spots so, given that I did not know the age of the liner (but suspected it could be up to 10 years old), I decided to just replace in the spring rather than risk having to do so mid-summer, plus there were some major wrinkles on the floor and faded areas I was sick of looking at. I am glad I did, as I tore out the old liner, there was some really brittle sections!

I did call around the area to see on costs of replacement, most places I called it was around $1000 and they wanted me to buy the liner from them. With inspiration and help from this board I realized I could do it myself and would prefer to choose from all the liners on the internet rather than the 4-5 options from pro install places.

I literally did the job myself, no helping hands. I had planned on having a few friends over and paying them in beer, but when my new liner arrived, I got really motivated and took a couple of days off work and knocked it out.

So, it is definitely a DIY job if you are so inclined - I had never done anything like this before. I watched lots of you tube videos on the subject and ran into a few challenges along the way, but nothing insurmountable, especially with the support of this forum.

Here are a couple of threads you may want to read:

My decision process to go with a new liner:
Time for a new liner??

My thread on the actual replacement:
Help Paul install his new liner

Post back with any questions.

Thanks for the replies and the detailed description of your experience, I think I'm going to try to get through this year and replace it next season (before opening). Although I consider myself a DIYer for many projects my confidence in taking this on is not high so I do think I'll get a pro in. Thanks again and if anyone has any local recommendations to replace liners that would be appreciated.

Knarf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.