When to run my pump

okccj

May 16, 2016
Oklahoma
Is there an optimal time of day to run my pump, and what is the justification for running the pump during a particular time of day? And while we're at it, how long should I run my pump? I have a 15000 gal above ground pool, with a 1.5 hp pump with sand filter. Thanks in advance.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Best bet is to run your pump for at least a portion of dusk/evening hours, since it is recommended that is when chlorine should be added for minimal loss of strength due to the sun.

I personally have my pump timer set for 1-9pm. It's a comfort thing for me and this covers peak swim time through sundown, when I add chemicals. I used to run it 12 hours, but I can't seem to bring myself to lower it to 4.

There are multiple schools of thought and I'm sure you'll get a number of personal preferences.

2-3 hours AM and 2-3 hours PM to keep debris skimmed off the surface. If you have cheaper rates at night that is a good reason to run during off-peak times. I run mine during the day in spring and early summer so that solar can run and heat the pool. Off at night to help hold the heat. Run it at night during the hottest part of summer to cool the pool either with night air or the solar panels.

You can add your pool info to your signature, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.