In-floor cleaning system and robot

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
Will the Polaris Caretaker heads interfere with the Aquabot when they are raised and pushing water through? Since they are raised for 1-2 min. each, would the Aquabot remember where they were and avoid the area?

Thanks.

Hi there, nice to meet you :) Welcome to TFP!! and :goodjob: in supporting the site 8)

I don't think the bot will remember where the pop up heads are :( The bot will 'remember' where it's run into walls, slope changes, but something that may or may not be there, it doesn't understand - It might be best to run the Aquabot while the pump system isn't running :)

If you've got the Caretaker 99, why do you need the bot? (circa 1991 - I got certified to do sell, layout, install and repair Caretakers) The Caretaker should 'take care' of almost all of your floor cleaning needs, but if you want to run the bot, do it when the Caretaker isn't operating. :)

Cheers :cheers: Hope you have a trouble free pool all season!

Waste, than maybe you can help me...figuring out what is wrong with the Caretaker. I've been talking to Polaris all last summer, had 2 local service techs come out last year and nothing was resolved. There are 2 issues:

1. The Caretaker (5 valve) leaks from the dome, where the ceramic dome attaches to the in-ground unit. We replaced the whole dome with a brand new one, all the O-rings and the clamp...it still leaks a lot when the PSI goes up.

2. The PSI is not high enough to rotate the heads. The most I can get is 10 PSI, the heads pop out but they don't advance, so I end up with a lot of stuff in a pile on the pool floor, kind of. I've noticed that the heads have different holes through which they blow the water, some are wider, some are very narrow, not sure if that has anything to do with the pressure and if they should be placed at different depths based on the openings.

I've been talking since Monday to a rep in the HQ, who was super helpful until he realized a)we have replaced everything last year and then he said to call a local service :grrrr: and b) we are the new owners, so the warranty doesn't apply.

Waste,
we spent the weekend figuring out the system and here is what we found out:

1. there are 18 heads in the floor, all equipped with size S nozzles, but the 4 ones on the steps and bench, which are size B.
2. We identified the 5 zones and the leak from the dome happens when the steps and the bench heads are up (which btw are at the opposite sites of the pool, so that probably means that the line is split in two). The caretakes leaks a river. On the other 4 zones there is maybe a drop or two, so whatever is wrong is with this particular zone. For now we took the head on the top step off, it seems to help with the leaking.

So after after reading the manual over and over maybe there is something wrong with one of the pistols? Just wanted to check what you think before spending another fortune on replacement parts.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Just a few quick thoughts on your most recent post -

1) pull all the heads out of the steps and bench and inspect them and see if 'stuff' comes blowing out the lines (the obstruction I spoke of earlier)

2) If possible, replace the step/ bench pop - up heads with some of the floor ones (this assumes you've got the blue 'puller/ installer' that goes on your pole) and see how it behaves.

3) Are the step/ bench pop - ups the only ones that aren't ratcheting properly, or is it all of them?

I'm hopeful that simply pulling out the heads in the steps and bench will reveal the issue :) When they are out make sure that they will ratchet properly (we used to call it "spanking their bottoms" :lol: ) It may be something as simple as some sand in the mechanism preventing them from popping up.

Please keep me abreast of your progress with this and I'll offer all the help and advice I can :-D

We did that yesterday too, maybe I should have mentioned it :oops: We removed all the heads, to check for obstruction, if the units are fine and also to see what nozzles they have. All the heads were fine (plus they are only 1 yo), so we put them back in. I guess we need to figure out why the dome is leaking and I can't help but be super mad at Polaris/Zodiak for not helping. I find it hard to believe I am the first person in the 10+ years they have been making the Caretaker that has this issue :grrrr: and them refusing to help after I replaced everything they could think of, is just unacceptable :evil: I don't think I have been that frustrated lately...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.