New Pool In Key West Fl. - design questions

May 26, 2016
Key West
Greetings,

I am designing and building a pool here in Key West. The attached documents offer more detail but in summary the pool will be:
In-Ground - gunite/plaster, surface area - 300 sq ft. volume - 10,200 gallons
Pool will feature a waterfall and spa 'area' (rather than separate spa), color LED lighting and heating and cooling.
I am designing and building the pool except for a) excavation, b) shooting the gunite and c) pastering
About me - engineer with extensive experience designing and building, with minimal assistance, very complex homes. However, this is my first pool

Overview and plumbing plan -

A6%201233%20South%20St%20Pool%20Overview2-Layout-page-001_zpsvvqhjk2a.jpg
[/URL]

My questions (at this point) -
1. Floor slope - I am planning on a 1" to 2" per foot slope. The main (trench) drain will provide my gunite team with a strong reference point at the deepest point. I'd appreciate any tips for providing the team with reference points around the edges of the pool to help insure I get a properly sloped floor. I'll ask them during the bidding meetings for suggestions but I have found I get the best quotes for the work I want done when I have everything prepared prior to a bid meeting.

2. Inlet & light niche prep - it looks like most builders extend the PVC into the pool (perhaps marking the PVC at the proper wall depth) and then after the gunite is shot, cutting/chiseling out/ and installing the fittings. I have searched for and would love to see a couple of photos showing close ups of the pipe prep that is done prior to the gunite shoot as well as the final fitting installation work. Also is there another approach that minimizes or eliminates chiseling the wall?

This builder had his gunite team leave the various inlets in this manner. Obviously saved on chiseling. Unless someone points out another technique, I'll probably go this route.

3. Any thoughts on the number and placement of the returns? (Currently planning on three returns in the locations indicated.)

4. Variable speed pump - currently planning on using a VS pump for pool only, pool plus SPA and Pool/SPA/Waterfall and Pool/Waterfall. I've done my flow and head calculations and it seems a number of the VS pumps out there will do the trick. - any thoughts/comments on this approach?

5. Control system - at this point I am focusing the Pentair EasyTouch. The most important feature it offers me is the integrated ability to control both heating and cooling. For example, the Hayward system can directing control heating but cooling has to be manually controlled. (I called them to confirm.) The main issue I have with Pentair is their warranty policy so I'd like to know if any other mfg systems have integrated ability to control heating and cooling? Though from everything I've seen, the EasyTough is a slick, very capable system. I'll likely go with it (and integrated clorinator) and find other mfg pump and heat pump. Any thoughts/comments on this?

I will have other questions but these are the ones I am wrestling with right now.

Thanks,
Glenn

Attachments

• Pool Plumbing_1-Layout.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 25
  • A2 1233 South St Pool Site Plan Santitized -Layout.pdf
    108.7 KB · Views: 23
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.