Pchase

May 26, 2016
Amarillo, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First, a little background: 45,000 gallon pool, cartridge filter, do run some trichlor in a feeder (balances with high evaporation and high alkaline well water)

I've had been working at (delaying) opening the pool for the past 3-4 weeks, but that was just to keep things from getting out of hand. The dog had pulled the seems out of my mesh safety cover and tore a huge hole in it so I knew I had a ton of debris in the bottom and wasn't ready to deal with it. So, I had done a shock and kept in some chlorine and the pool lost the green color, but was cloudy.

A few days ago, things went to green again and I could tell circulation was down on the pump. So it was time to get serious about opening things. I vacuumed the shallow end to waste and then used the leaf/debris remover you attach to the hose to take a ton of debris out of the deep end. I kept going until I wasn't getting a lot and then ran my pool cleaner and it wasn't picking up large amounts. I also took my pump apart and cleaned the impeller which had a lot of grass in it, and cleaned the filters. So I was starting with everything circulating strongly and clean filters. Algae wasn't a strong bloom, but definitely a good amount of dirt.

The SLAM and test
I started a slam last night with a CYA at 50 and a target FC of 20.

About an hour after adding chlorine, I pulled a test and barely registered any FC. But, then I got color back and then when doing CC, got a higher reading than the FC. I was wondering about washing out the test, but it had got dark, so I added more chlorine.

First thing this morning, the filters were plugged so I cleaned them out. Definitely algae as it was a little green and not a lot of debris as opposed to dirt which takes a lot of material to foul.

This time pulling the test, I watched it closer as follows:

FC: did the 10 ml test and didn't get any color until I placed the second scoop(using the speed stir). The initial read was a FC of 1. But if I let it sit a few seconds color would keep coming back. So I kept adding drops as it came back and got a reading of 5.5. It may have gone higher if I let it go on, but was staying clear after about 5 seconds.

CC - 1.5
CYA - 50 (from prior test)
TA - 120
PH - 7.6
CH - 200

This is the first time using the K-2006 test and I'm not sure of trusting the reading or not or how to determine the final. Am I getting wash-out? Should I be waiting for color to come back when doing the test?

If you let it sit, you will get color back, but that's an invalid test. The initial reading is the correct one.

Your FC is going to burn off like crazy at first as the chlorine kills off the algae.

If you let it sit, you will get color back, but that's an invalid test. The initial reading is the correct one.

Your FC is going to burn off like crazy at first as the chlorine kills off the algae.
What do define as sit. I'm using the speed stir and its just a few seconds. The other thing was the CC would have been higher.

I seem to have verification that a quick 20 ppm chlorine burn is feasible. If that is the case, the tests above are just splitting hairs until I get that initial taken care of. Wanted to rule out a bleach out on the test.

About an hour after adding chlorine, I pulled a test and barely registered any FC. But, then I got color back and then when doing CC, got a higher reading than the FC. I was wondering about washing out the test, but it had got dark, so I added more chlorine.

This time pulling the test, I watched it closer as follows:

FC: did the 10 ml test and didn't get any color until I placed the second scoop(using the speed stir). The initial read was a FC of 1. But if I let it sit a few seconds color would keep coming back. So I kept adding drops as it came back and got a reading of 5.5. It may have gone higher if I let it go on, but was staying clear after about 5 seconds.

This is the first time using the K-2006 test and I'm not sure of trusting the reading or not or how to determine the final. Am I getting wash-out? Should I be waiting for color to come back when doing the test?

I was using your definition of letting it sit. The proper test is to put the water sample in the vessel, drop in the speedstir stick, put your scoop of powder in, start the speedstir, then start dropping in drops. As soon as it goes clear, that is the end of the test. If you let it sit at all and it changes color back, this is an invalid test and sample and should not be used or considered.

Another question on a new test after adding more chlorine this morning.

After I drop the two dippers in, it gets darker the longer I let it mix. It's almost clear at first, but give it 30 seconds to a minute and it gets a lot more pink. Is it valid to let it mix that long before adding in the 871 drops for the test?

I'm still upside down on the FC/CC
FC- 3
CC - 8.5

No, follow the procedure I stated above. Don't wait around.

So what you have there is a TC of 11.5. It's completely possible to have CC that high. As long as your pool is open to the sun, once you get the algae under control it will drop off.

CC = TC - FC

I bet it smells like a hotel indoor pool, huh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, follow the procedure I stated above. Don't wait around.

So what you have there is a TC of 11.5. It's completely possible to have CC that high. As long as your pool is open to the sun, once you get the algae under control it will drop off.

CC = TC - FC

I bet it smells like a hotel indoor pool, huh?
Don't notice any smell and it's getting the grey-blue color. IT used to be like a pond with dead stuff in it.

Went out and cleaned the filters again and although it's plugged, very little in them. I'm guessing it was all small, dead algae.

I saw some posts on NH3 and that may make some sense. I removed a lot (maybe 5-gallon bucket worth) of biomass before starting (pill bugs, grass, a few frogs) and there could have still been enough that that's eating up chlorine. Definately saw a lot of brown when brushing. I've put in massive amounts of chlorine and just tested at FC-1, CC-8.

I wonder if it is a good idea to treat tonight and not brush to allow some settling and then vacuum to waste in the morning. I am able to see some dirt patches in the shallow end through the haze and could definitely get more out that way.

I think yo have to decide if you are SLAMming the pool or not. You seem to be out on your own or taking pool store advice.

That may well work fine for you but it is incredibly difficult for us to help on a procedure when we have no idea what the procedure is.
I wonder if it is a good idea to treat tonight and not brush to allow some settling and then vacuum to waste in the morning.
I have no idea. Over about 12 years or so, we have developed this SLAM procedure that keeps us all on the same page.

Your methods may be even better but I am not sure what you are going to do next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.