What Now?

Whoops! How did I do that. I read CYA then read 100 from your TA number!!! Sorry about that!

I'd get that pH up as quickly as possible.
PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration.

I think Robbie replied to the wrong thread.

What did you target for CYA? If you're close to what it should be, that's where you are.

The pH should have risen some by now with triple-digit TA. Aeration will speed it up, but you don't have a lot of easy options for that with an intex, since the returns are sort of fixed in place. At this point, it's probably time to add a little Borax. Target 7.4 pH. I get 4 cups of Borax by volume. Dissolve it in a bucket of water and then pour the liquid into the pool in front of a return. If you do it before your weekly brushing, you can kill two birds at once: mix the borax even better and get the brushing done.

Give it half an hour to work after mixing and retest. If pH is still off the low end of the scale, repeat it until the pH shifts.

Once the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8, you're fine. If someone wants to get in, it'll be okay. Be aware that a bunch of kids splashing around will aerate the water plenty, so don't be astonished that the pH has suddenly climbed. Tossing a flailing kid into the water was my first thought, since it costs nothing, but the low pH might irritate their eyes.

If by chance the pool store foisted some pH up on you, or you have some Washing Soda in the laundry room, you can use that instead of Borax to raise pH. Don't rush out hunting for Borax if you already own a suitable substitute.

lol, its ok. I figured that was the case

- - - Updated - - -

Kids have swam the last 3 days. I have borax already and lots of bleach. I need to brush anyways so I will mix it in good. Should I be worried about TA rising with borax?

My target for CYA was 40...I may need to raise it more later but I think pH is priority today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.